Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil Sending Unit relocation

I'm relocating my sending unit on my 86' loyale and i'm having trouble getting it to read any pressure on the gauge. I started the car and loosened the fitting closest to the sending unit and bled all the air out of the line and i still can't get any pressure to the gauge. I measured wire to the sending unit and it had voltage. Also my oil line is about 48 inches long. Could the extreme length be the problem? And help will be greatly appreciated.

-cody

I did a 36" stainless braided line from the pump to the fenderwall where I mounted an autometer sender and it works great (EA81).....

Is the sending unit grounded? If you used hose that doesn't have any metal in it that would insulate it from the block - it needs to be grounded so it can provide a resistance to the ground path and thus give your gauge something to read.

GD

here's what I did... used a stock replacement aftermarket sender, and flexible aluminum tubing.

I used a broken off "stem" from another sender. I drilled and tapped it to accept the plumbing fitting...

I spent some time at the hardware store, with the pieces trying to find the stuff to fit together... the threads for the elbow that connected to the remote sender, were not perfect, but it did the job....

2007-remote-oil.jpg

here's what I did... used a stock replacement aftermarket sender, and flexible aluminum tubing.

I used a broken off "stem" from another sender. I drilled and tapped it to accept the plumbing fitting...

I spent some time at the hardware store, with the pieces trying to find the stuff to fit together... the threads for the elbow that connected to the remote sender, were not perfect, but it did the job....

2007-remote-oil.jpg

I saw this picture a long time ago and was going to do this to my last subaru (2nd GEN) but then i sold it before i did. The 3rd GEN doesn't have that convenient ground strap bolt there dang it! :rolleyes:

-cody

I did a 36" stainless braided line from the pump to the fenderwall where I mounted an autometer sender and it works great (EA81).....

Is the sending unit grounded? If you used hose that doesn't have any metal in it that would insulate it from the block - it needs to be grounded so it can provide a resistance to the ground path and thus give your gauge something to read.

GD

Yes, it is grounded to the bracket i attached it to. Tomorrow I will try grounding it with a wire to the engine as i have it grounded to the body now. Maybe a bad engine to body grounding strap? Do you think maybe if i have it mounted upside down to what McBrat has shown in his picture could be the problem? Mine is opposite of his. I wouldn't think it would affect it as it is pressurized.

-cody