Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question About '86 Rear Window Brake Light

'86 GL wagon

That brake light mounted in the tailgate window - is it (fairly) easy to remove to clean the lens & replace the bulb? I've looked at it but I can't figure out how get into it.

And tips?

Thanks in advance.

There are 2 little plastic covers you need to pop off with a knife or something in order to access 2 phillips screws. Then you can remove the plastic cover and get to the bulb housing. You may need to remove the trim panel from the inside of the hatchback to get to the bolts which secure the actual light housing to the rear hatch. Hope this helps some.

Spencer

I did get the plastic clips popped out that hide the screws, and then removed the screws. That allowed me to take the backside cover off. I want to take the whole assembly off, or rather, away from the window. It's very dirty - I've never been able to clean that area of the window or the lens. Are you saying I need to remove the cover on the tailgate itself to do that?

Did I feel a fuse or fuses in there? I didn't have good light when I was trying to see where the next screws were.

Did I feel a fuse or fuses in there? I didn't have good light when I was trying to see where the next screws were.

Nope, no fuses in there. You might just be feeling a plastic lip of something. The fuses are all under the dash on the EA82. :)

Also, the two nuts that holds the whole assembly to the gate are 10mm. Also be carful not to over tighten the two screws that hold the small cover on - as they only screw into plastic.

10-4 buddy!!

Ugh. I am not that capable or confident. I am pretty good at taking things apart, but...........

I will leave that to a professional. Got an appt. @ the dealer's tomorrow, I'll let them mess with that.

I don't do panels 'n stuff.

Nope, no fuses in there. You might just be feeling a plastic lip of something. The fuses are all under the dash on the EA82. :)

Also, the two nuts that holds the whole assembly to the gate are 10mm. Also be carful not to over tighten the two screws that hold the small cover on - as they only screw into plastic.

I don't have a 10 mm thingie. I keep meaning to buy one.

Well, good luck at the Stealers "Cough, cough" I mean Dealer :lol:

I know, I know. Trust me, I don't have a choice. I don't work on cars. Don't have the knowledge, don't have the tools. And it would ruin my nails. LOL

Its ok, at least you learned on where everything is and such.

Yes, I learned what I needed to know. There is no better vintage Subaru resource than right here. You guys always come through.

As you might have guessed, I am female, and have no mechanic skills. I mean, I do, but up to a point. I can do real simple stuff but I don't get into taking parts of my car off. I understand the stuff pretty well but I would just get myself in trouble if I started dismantling.

Well just remember, even if you did take the interior apart - you can still drive it. So its not suck a big deal :)

I'm trying to get everything put back together. We (the car and I) just spent a while at the customizing boutique yesterday (where I didn't have any customizing done). I had moldings from all over the place that had fallen off, were falling off, were messed-up-cockeyed from some idiot at a prior shop, and had a brand-new original 4WD decal put on, where the old one had worn away. Also had new weatherstipping put on the doors.

I am restoring this car back to dealer showroom condition everywhere I can (it was never actually in the showroom).

We're getting a bit of a make-over tomorrow too.

Well there is such a thing as a "Tokyo Auto Salon" Basically a car show for tuned cars.

But Salon is in the name :grin:

I'm trying to get everything put back together. We (the car and I) just spent a while at the customizing boutique yesterday (where I didn't have any customizing done). I had moldings from all over the place that had fallen off, were falling off, were messed-up-cockeyed from some idiot at a prior shop, and had a brand-new original 4WD decal put on, where the old one had worn away. Also had new weatherstipping put on the doors.

I am restoring this car back to dealer showroom condition everywhere I can (it was never actually in the showroom).

We're getting a bit of a make-over tomorrow too.