Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 99 impreza outback sport 2.2L

I can not fill gas in the vehicle it seems as though there is too much pressure in the tank and will not let any gas in. I have changed fuel filter and plugs and still get hesitation and can't fill gas. I also disconnected vent lines at filler pipe and this hasn't helped either.

I am bout to drop tank and check the pressure valve. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

You most likely don't need to drop the tank. Find all the vent lines under the rear of the car and make sure they are clear. Also, the thin metal lines that run under the intake get corrosion built up in them and often cause this problem. Take the small line off the fuel filter and blow through that, towards the intake, not the fuel filter.( with a blow gun hooked to an air compressor I mean) I can't think of how your lines get run, but if it goes directly to the purge solenoid, then you'll hear a pop when the vent line gets blown off it. If you can fill your tank now, you need a purge solenoid. Just get one from the junkyard, it's under the intake manifold, on the pass side, very near the coolant temp sensor location. That line might go right into the intake manifold also, just make sure you can blow through that line no problem.

I've gone through this problem many times at work. It's pretty common. When you try to put gas in the car it will take a few cents, and the pump will shut off. And gas comes out the fill tube. The tank is not venting properly.

I would guess it is either the filler neck or the vent hose.

The venthose is located at the right side of the diff at the back side of the tank. (same side as the pump).

Once located there is a big hose (filler hose) and on the left of that the vent hose.

Both hoses go up and then the vent hose connects at the filler hose nearly under the top.

You can try to poke a rubber hose through and make sure there will be no static spark when you do that.