Ultimate Subaru Message Board

81standard-busted transaxle

hey everyone, new to this sweeeet site. I have a 1981 standard 5 speed 4wd. My transaxle is making some serious clicking noises. I think it's broken. Any suggestions on what years are interchangeable? I'm having a b*tch of a time finding a replacement. Any suggestions?

Are you sure it's the transaxle, and not the CV joints that are clicking? CV joints quite commonly click when they are going bad. I've never personally had an older subaru transmission go bad on me, though it does happen rarely.

5spd 4wd in a 1981? I didn't know that the 4wd's got 5 speeds till '85. the 2wd's were available in 5spd in 1981.

If it is the transmission you are going to have a very hard time finding a replacement. Your best bet is an early 1600 5 speed instead. Should bolt up the same just with an extra gear.

It's either that or swap out the engine as well since they stopped using the top-mount starter 1600's in like '82.

The STD's are sweet little cars though - if you decide you can't or won't be fixing it - I might be interested in it. I've always wanted a STD platform to build a wheeler from and I could care less about the engine or transmission. I just need the shell.

GD

I have an 81 hatchback that just became a donor car, I'm not sure of the condition of the transaxle, but it moved under its own power until this am when I pulled the motor. The car did have a problem that seemed to me like a wheel bearing seizing, but if I left it overnite it would release. Anyhow, if you want the transaxle you can have it, may be too long of a drive to be worth it though, Im in north California.

Yes, it is a four speed, (typo on the the "5"). And its not the cv joints as I have already replaced both the cv axles.

Sadly, in the Willamette valley at least, replacing axles is not a gaurantee they won't click. I;ve got an 84 with brand new axles that sound terrible. Had problems with 3 other EA81's and also an EA82.

I've been getting some real crap lately from Knecht's and Autozone. Don't go there for axles.

Napa in corvallis currently has GCK axles of good quality. They are the only ones around here that I haven't had issues with.

If you wanted to bring it over to my shop in corvallis, I could listen to it and tell you for sure if it's in the Trans or if you got hosed with the friggin recycled shovel and toaster axles from China.

gloyale,

Where is your shop? If you are the dude thats close to the futon man, I have actually met you. At autozone, and yes I have got some of those crappy axles from az. The problem with those are the boots keep ripping on me.

that's me. I can be hard to get ahold of, but that's where I'm at. Give me a call. 541-207-6544

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Mcarthur, and the car will be leaving soon but I can pull the transaxle for you before it does.

If you want to take the whole car thats fine but it will be missing a "few" things lol. theres no motor now and I need to grab a few odds and ends for my wagon, and theres no title, and the rest is in rough shape, but there is a lot of usable parts left.

Maybe you and Gloyal can work something out to get it up there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...