Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Brakes 4.0

Well to day i finaly installed the Brembos i got a week or so ago...

I am now on my 4th set of brakes on this car, i think i will keep these for a while...

Over the last week i stipped them down and painted them. im not sure if i will add a Brembo sitcker or just leave them black for more of the sleeper look. im leaning twards just black.

They were in rough shape when i got them, but i got a good deal so it was worth putting some elbow grease into them.

tn_Brembos%20(1).JPG

tn_Brembos%20(30).JPG

tn_Brembos%20(9).JPG

tn_Brembos%20(35).JPG

tn_Brembos%20(38).JPG

tn_Brembos%20(40).JPG

My wife loved it when i baked them in the oven. they came out pretty good.

Still need to install the master cylinder and the adjustable valve for the rears.

Edited by suberdave

nice hit, what is up with that backing plate being cut and welded? that looks awesome, good job!

its a backing plate from a 2003 JDM STI. therfore it will not fit onto a 1988 GL rear swingarm. so i welded in an adapter to fill the space, and drilled new holes.

tn_Brembos%20(4).JPG

"I am now on my 4th set of brakes on this car, i think i will keep these for a while..."

wow....I dont know what to say. guess you like brakes....

I have owned over 35 different cars, and only one time i had to change a caliper, that was when the slide pin rusted and caused a problem...

now, brake pads, i dont seem to change them much either....

"I am now on my 4th set of brakes on this car, i think i will keep these for a while..."

wow....I dont know what to say. guess you like brakes....

I have owned over 35 different cars, and only one time i had to change a caliper, that was when the slide pin rusted and caused a problem...

now, brake pads, i dont seem to change them much either....

Now that i list it all out. I am on my 5th set of calipers and rotors in the front and 4th set of calipers and rotors in the rear...

the way i see it is, if you increase your "GO" power, you must also increase your "STOP" power.

Brakes i have had:

Front: Stock 1988 10" rotors single piston sliding calipers, Rear: stock 1988 GL

Front: 1989 XT6 ?" rotors single piston sliding caliper, Rear: stock 1989 XT6.

Front: 1996 JDM WRX 11" rotors Dule piston sliding calipers, Rear: stock 1989 XT6 rotors W/ Nissan 200sx single piston sliding calipers.

Front: 2002 WRX 12" rotors W/ Wilwood fixed 4 piston calipers, Rear: stock 1989 XT6 rotors W/ Nissan 200sx single piston sliding calipers.

Front: 2003 JDM STi 12.8 Rotors Brembo fixed 4 piston calipers, Rear: JDM STi 12"Rotors Brembo fixed 2 piston calipers.

Edited by suberdave

Now that i list it all out. I am on my 5th set of calipers and rotors in the front and 4th set of calipers and rotors in the rear...

the way i see it is, if you increase your "GO" power, you must also increase your "STOP" power.

Brakes i have had:

Front: Stock 1988 10" rotors single piston sliding calipers, Rear: stock 1988 GL

Front: 1989 XT6 ?" rotors single piston sliding caliper, Rear: stock 1989 XT6.

Front: 1996 JDM WRX 11" rotors Dule piston sliding calipers, Rear: stock 1989 XT6 rotors W/ Nissan 200sx single piston sliding calipers.

Front: 2002 WRX 12" rotors W/ Wilwood fixed 4 piston calipers, Rear: stock 1989 XT6 rotors W/ Nissan 200sx single piston sliding calipers.

Front: 2003 JDM STi 12.8 Rotors Brembo fixed 4 piston calipers, Rear: JDM STi 12"Rotors Brembo fixed 2 piston calipers.

Awesome work Suberdave, killer wagon!

Still have the rear xt6 stuff kicking around?

Mark

Sweet deal Dave! I can't wait to see it this year and I better get a ride in it finally:grin:

My RX is well, not going to make it to the show. Needs too much work before I want to show it. Seems you beat me to yet another thing I've had plans for:lol:

I'm looking at doing a similar set up in my hatch. I'm just going to use a 2002 WRX set up though. I've got the fronts finished, but need to install the rear yet. I got a few of the adapter rings from Reagan (I think that was his name, the dude with the WRX BRAT).

I painted my the topical ricer red.

dsc04408u.jpg

Nice job on yours. :)