Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Water pump differences

I'm working on a EA81T rebuild/replace, mostly by putting a motor from an 84 into my 83. The fan mount on the front of the water pump on the 84 motor was crushed, so I pulled both off thinking I'd just keep using the one from the 83, only to find they were distinct...

84 on left; 83 on right.

5x7m2p.jpg

Is one of these aftermarket? Is one of these preferable? I like the idea of a non-rusted cast impeller, but unfortunately for me the crushed fan mount has not been willing to come off the pulley so far...

So also: Any tips to getting that fan mount off? My 22mm wrench is too fat to fit in there nicely, and even when I do get it wedged in there to get a grip, the 10mm bolts between the two parts are stubborn like crazy.

Thanks!

The cast impeller is an OEM (Paraut) style pump. The stamped impeller is aftermarket. There is no real performance difference - I've used both on many engines and both perform without problem.

The water pumps are pretty cheap new - I would get a new one if it was me. They are still availible - about $35 in the aftermarket.

As for getting the fan clutch off - a quality 10mm end wrench and a flat blade screwdriver to hold on two of the other studs to keep it from turning is what I use.

GD

• 2 months later...

Okay, so... Am I supposed to have a fan on the water pump pulley? Because I can't find any reference to it in the pdf copy of the Subaru engine maunal; only the electric fan on the other side. But if not, how have I found two EA81T that both have one?

Okay, so... Am I supposed to have a fan on the water pump pulley? Because I can't find any reference to it in the pdf copy of the Subaru engine maunal; only the electric fan on the other side. But if not, how have I found two EA81T that both have one?

Pretty sure only AC equipped EA-81Ts had the engine driven clutch fan.Mine doesn`t have one.

Thanks again for the info.

I don't want to cut corners, but I also don't want to chase my tail trying to figure out parts that Subaru doesn't bother mentioning. It's probably in some other supplemental doc about the a/c.