Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Remanufactured Carb for 87 Brat

First thing is first I live in Sacramento, CA I HAVE to pass smog, I can not use a weber.

That said, I have been having idle issues with my 87 brat, and took it to a mechanic today. I was told the throttle shaft/bushings were bad and the carb needs a full rebuild pretty much.

He then quoted me around 850 for this..

I would like to know first off, is that about right for a full rebuild of a hitachi carb, and second is there any place reliable to get a reman carb from and just swap it out myself?

Thanks.

Edited by Jurrel
Typo in title

Just about anywhere will be cheaper to buy a reman and do it yourself. NAPA can get reman carbs in the $450 range IIRC.

But I would bet it just needs a refresh - very seldom are the throttle shafts worn to such an extent that it affects their ability to run correctly.

If you want to find a used one and send it to me I'll rebuild it for $200. I've done a lot of the Hitachi's and I'm pretty handy with them now.

It is possible for you do to the SPFI swap and get it to pass CA smog as well - it's been done. You have to get a ref to inspect it. Basically you are "installing" an EA82 and if you do it up right with all the correct systems in place it will pass CA smog as if it were an EA82 - they are OK with that because you are installing a newer engine for all intents and purposes (it's fuel and ignition system anyway).

GD

Well I had a friend rebuild the carb with a kit from Napa recently, but I'm pretty sure there was nothing in the kit for the throttle shaft/bushings, but I will check with him after work.

I have thought about the upgrade to SPFI, but I am horrible when it comes to dealing with rewiring a car, so I do not think that is in the lineup for the moment.

I admit with carbs I am a bit uneducated, are the Throttle bushings in the carb to the throttle base? Would the base need to be fixed or the entire carb on the CA model of the Hitachi? Where would I even find just the throttle shaft/bushing/bearing in order to get it fixed? And yes, 450 is alot cheaper, I would jus need to make sure I ordered the right one from them. The website no longer even lists carbs in the searches.

It is most likely a DCP-306-27..... something like that.

The throttle base is seperate from the carb and can be rebushed if neccesary. There are kits sold online for it (it's a standard 6mm throttle shaft).

I would look elsewhere for your idleing problems though. I doubt that worn throttle shafts are the cause and replacing the carb may not do anything at all to help you.

I would test the theory. Since the carb has been rebuilt - take apart the throttle shaft linkage and insert an o-ring of proper size to seal the shaft openeing. I doubt it will make any real difference to your running problems. I've seen pretty sloppy throttle shafts and frankly it would have to be a LOT of slop to cause a big enough leak that you couldn't tune it to pass emissions.

There is also the possilibilty of installing a Weber (properly tuned of course), in conjunction with a new 3-way catalytic converter and a modified air-box to hide it under. The stock air-box would hide a Weber nicely and some flat-black paint and some oil/dirt stains....... it could be done. Big enough cat installed in the mid-pipe would make it pass easily.

GD