Ultimate Subaru Message Board

broke rear diff stub bolt

I was starting to take apart my open diff on my wagon to swap my LSD in. I drained the gear oil and then went to break the stub bolts loose and the head on one of them sheared in half. I'm not sure what to do to get the stubs out so I can swap my LSD in there. Am I screwed and have to buy a new open diff?

Also are the stubs the same in the LSD and on the open diff? Just wondering in case I need to break out the angle grinder.

edit: as a side note, if I can't get the diff out. would it be possible to weld it while still in the housing? I could either use my friends 110v mig or his tig machine. The tig is able to do stick as well. what do you guys think would be the best choice in this situation?

Edited by NinjaTech

yep , cut the stub off right about the same place it broke to get your eyes on it, then cut off more of the stub, and none of the bolt.take that piece of the stub off.then grab bolt with vice grips.

soaking them in pb blaster works pretty well if they are stubborn.of course we have cut as many as we have saved too......so , i guess it's a fifty-50 shot.cheers, brain

Where you using an E-10 socket (reverse torxs) or just a standard 10mm?

I have found there is no substitut for the E-10.

Had to order them from Cornwell tools...but they had em.

Note* needs to be 1/4 drive, deepwell or it won't fit into the stub opening.

You said you had access to a TIG welder? Just weld something onto the broken stub. Such as a piece of bar stock or some scrap.

-cody

yep, weld a nut to the top of the stud then you can use a socket to get it out.

+1 to the E10 bit, i listened to that advice and I'm glad i did.

yep , cut the stub off right about the same place it broke to get your eyes on it, then cut off more of the stub, and none of the bolt.take that piece of the stub off.then grab bolt with vice grips.

soaking them in pb blaster works pretty well if they are stubborn.of course we have cut as many as we have saved too......so , i guess it's a fifty-50 shot.cheers, brain

thats what i did.

yes, I was using an E10 socket after I found out that they weren't 8mm bolts when I was taking the LSD chunk out.

I guess I can try sube4x4's suggestion of welding some aluminum stock to it this weekend too when I go to my friends. Just hope I can get the metal clean enough to weld properly.

If I were doing it, I would cut the stub, then center punch and drill the head off the bolt and pull the stub out. Once you do that the bolt should just turn out without any tension on it from the stub.

Aluminium isn't going to work - you can't weld Aluminium to steel even with TIG. Just weld a proper sized nut to the stud if you go that route. Then put an impact on it set to a low setting and just hammer on it for a while to loosen it. Should turn out relatively easily though I've had to weld nuts to broken studs anywhere from 1 to 10 times before I got the broken bit to spin out rather than just break the weld.

I would drill the head off first though.

GD

If I were doing it, I would cut the stub, then center punch and drill the head off the bolt and pull the stub out. Once you do that the bolt should just turn out without any tension on it from the stub.

Aluminium isn't going to work - you can't weld Aluminium to steel even with TIG. Just weld a proper sized nut to the stud if you go that route. Then put an impact on it set to a low setting and just hammer on it for a while to loosen it. Should turn out relatively easily though I've had to weld nuts to broken studs anywhere from 1 to 10 times before I got the broken bit to spin out rather than just break the weld.

I would drill the head off first though.

GD

I thought they were aluminum since it broke so easy and is about the same color. I could weld on it whatever metal it is though.