Ultimate Subaru Message Board

grease squirting out of outer tie rod end boot

I had to replace the boot that goes over the inner tie rod. Had some trouble loosening the jam nut, so the whole tie rod was all over the place. Once I finally got it off, noticed that there was a small amount of grease leaking from the boot on the outer tie rod end. There is a ring restricting the boot at the larger diameter, but nothing on top. I pried the boot with a screwdriver and injected some grease in there -- I have a small syringe I packed with grease -- but it seems like a little bit was still seeping out of it.

How bad is it? Should I replace the tie rod end or not worry about it for the time being, since there are no problems otherwise?

I am thinking that squirting out a little grease is not anything to worry about. However, try yanking back and forth on the tie rod to see if there is any wear that has created "play" or looseness at the joint. I rather doubt that you will find any play, but if so, then consider replacement.