Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yep that's right, the d/r ej I got from Numchux has finally arrived. I will have pics later. It looks to be in good shape though. 3.9 final drive so I'll be running slighter better highway RPMs once it's installed.

p.s. anybody else having problems with photobucket??

Edited by Subaru_dude

I'm going to swap the EA82 5spd d/r low gearset in for the 1.59:1 low range to replace the useless 1.19:1 low range. Few more paychecks and I'll get some King springs and kyb shocks. Then a skid plate and I'll be ready for some real exploration.

When I go to photobucket and sign in, it takes me to a page that does NOT look like photobucket. It's all orange and dark brown...

I'm going to swap the EA82 5spd d/r low gearset in for the 1.59:1 low range to replace the useless 1.19:1 low range. Few more paychecks and I'll get some King springs and kyb shocks. Then a skid plate and I'll be ready for some real exploration.

When I go to photobucket and sign in, it takes me to a page that does NOT look like photobucket. It's all orange and dark brown...

Kodak is currently sponsoring Photobucket, so that may be why you're seeing

the funky color scheme.

Nice.

That'll be awesome to see drive when its all done.

Twitch

• 2 weeks later...
Keep us posted as I am going to be doing this eventually. Ever check out Scorpion and see if they still have their gear reduction set for the EJ D/r?

Well, that gear reduction set still only gives you a 1.4:1 reduction whereas using the low gearset out of an EA82 5spd d/r will give you a 1.59:1 low range so that's the route I'll be taking. Here's a link on how to do it...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=97653

NICE WORK DOOD!!

I've been researching this for like 3 years, saw -chux's DR come through the market (of coarse at a bad time) but am excited to see this go through...

I'm still working some australian forums to see if anyone down there will help me get a DR AWD tranny...

Aplineraven's thread is quite comprehinsive, good find and good on you for linking it... nothing but good reports!

I will be eagerly following your progress and your reports on the final outcome, road, highway and trail driving subaru_dude!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well I'm still waiting on my current transmission to die. My original plan was to have it on standby for when this tranny failed but it seems it will be a while before that happens. I have all the seals to reseal it and the EA82 d/r gearset machined properly (I believe anyway) to fit the EJ. I'd like to reseal it, get it good and clean, and pop that EA82 d/r gearset in there and have it waiting on standby. I've just been lazy and haven't done that. BUT after doing some mild wheeling it's become obvious these plastic pos bumpers have GOT to go before I do any real wheeling. I MIGHT consider keeping the Outback DD and if I do, you got first dibbs on the tranny.

• 5 months later...

Well everybody I've got an update. My King Springs came in the mail last week and I've had my KYBs for a few weeks now and I got around to installing them yesterday. I guess I've got an extra 1 3/4" lift just from the springs, I also have 1/2" strut spacers for the front and 3/4" for the rear. When I get a job and can buy new tophats I will install those. Wanted to see how much lift I got from the springs first.

I'll have pics tomorrow, should be nice weather. I still plan on installing the d/r one of these days... and getting rid of the plastic bumpers.

BTW I really like the way this thing handles and rides now. A little on the stiff side but not TOO much for me. Can really take some hard railroad crossing hits very well. :grin:

Awesomeness!!

D/R EJ 5MT!! It's 3.90 final drive though right? You'll need to swap out your rear diff, unless you make the tranny a 4.11 (which would be the awesome-est ever!!)

I still covet, but when put it in I look forward to your report on what it does!!

Well everybody I've got an update. My King Springs came in the mail last week and I've had my KYBs for a few weeks now and I got around to installing them yesterday. I guess I've got an extra 1 3/4" lift just from the springs, I also have 1/2" strut spacers for the front and 3/4" for the rear. When I get a job and can buy new tophats I will install those. Wanted to see how much lift I got from the springs first.

I'll have pics tomorrow, should be nice weather. I still plan on installing the d/r one of these days... and getting rid of the plastic bumpers.

BTW I really like the way this thing handles and rides now. A little on the stiff side but not TOO much for me. Can really take some hard railroad crossing hits very well. :grin: