Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Legacy Wagon rear gate key lock stuck

This is a typical Legacy/Outback wagon problem. The latch mechanism rusts over time to cause binding and jaming. You can lube it up with spray grease that will help for a couple of months, but the problem will return. I can't remember all the particulars, when I replace mine on my 99 OBW (same body style as your car). I removed the inside panel on the lift gate to gain access to the mechanism. I bought my latch mechanism on line for about $35. It was easy to install.

If you do a "search" in the archives on this forum, you will see write ups on how to fix this problem better then what I have described.

If by chance your problem is strictly a key issue, spray some key lube into the key slot to lubricate the key tumblers. Still, I am betting that you have a rusted latch mechanism.

I have two '95 wagons - one purchased in 2003 and the other a couple of years later. I've never been able to put the key in the lock of either rear gate. Also, the left latched on both were rusted when I bought them, even though the right one looks good. Fortunately the power locks work just fine on both.

Adam

This is a typical Legacy/Outback wagon problem. The latch mechanism rusts over time to cause binding and jaming. You can lube it up with spray grease that will help for a couple of months, but the problem will return. I can't remember all the particulars, when I replace mine on my 99 OBW (same body style as your car). I removed the inside panel on the lift gate to gain access to the mechanism. I bought my latch mechanism on line for about $35. It was easy to install.

If you do a "search" in the archives on this forum, you will see write ups on how to fix this problem better then what I have described.

If by chance your problem is strictly a key issue, spray some key lube into the key slot to lubricate the key tumblers. Still, I am betting that you have a rusted latch mechanism.

I can't stick the key in the lock at all about 5 months ago I could. I've been checking but a search for "tailgate lock" only gave me 2 thread and from what I seemed to find it's some kind of spring that rusts out or something?

I can't stick the key in the lock at all about 5 months ago I could. I've been checking but a search for "tailgate lock" only gave me 2 thread and from what I seemed to find it's some kind of spring that rusts out or something?

Using search insert the words "Legacy tailgate latch." Lots written there, some by me, plus links for more info. Info regards rusted latch, maybe, maybe not your problem. Maybe you have already read these links on your search.

If it is strictly a problem regarding inserting the key, then lube the lock cylinder. Squirt some WD-40, using the small plastic wand to spray into the key hole. Doing this will surely permit your key to enter the lock.

Did it act weird when the weather is hot? I had the same problem and its the driver side door lock mech switch.

I wish I could but sometimes my power locks have a mind their own so it's iffy if the rear unlocks or any other door but my own.