Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question about this ebay T-Belt kit

I'm thinking about ordering this kit for my 1990 leg wagon.They are calling this a Master Timing Belt kit. It comes with alot of gaskets and seals and stuff.But,I'm wondering about the Oil Pump Reseal part of this kit. The one in the pic looks like a ea82 oil pump reseal kit.

My question is,do the ej22 oil pumps and ea82 oil pumps require the same/similar reseal kits? I've never resealed a ej oil pump.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-1996-Subaru-Legacy-Impreza-Master-Timing-Belt-Kit-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem563d8a263dQQitemZ370399651389QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

The description of what's included sounds right. To reseal oil pump on that era you'd need the front crank seal and the oil pump discharge o-ring. Some used a regular o-ring and others used what that auction appears to be calling the 'mousehead' o-ring. Also you'd need permatex ultra grey or other sealant to reseal the oil pump onto the block.

One thing I'm not sure about in those PCI kits is the smooth timing idlers. It appears they went to single row ball bearings for both smooth idlers. I'm not sure why. Someone pm'd me sometime back and said they asked PCI about it and PCI said it was because Subaru themselves did the same thing. (Which is not true. Subaru now uses the double row ball bearing smooth idler in both positions, making the single row obsolete).

My experience has been that if the single-row bearing idlers are changed every time the belt is changed then there's no problem with them. Subaru probably went to the 3k series bearing because they don't publish that you should change the idlers along with the belt - which is ludicrious. Also the single row bearing idlers are easily rebuilt with an off-the-shelf 6k series bearing while the double row is not as it does not use an off-the-shelf bearing. If you want to save money go with the single row units and then just knock in some new bearings (~$5 each) when you do the belt the next time around.

GD

I'm thinking about ordering this kit for my 1990 leg wagon.They are calling this a Master Timing Belt kit. It comes with alot of gaskets and seals and stuff.But,I'm wondering about the Oil Pump Reseal part of this kit. The one in the pic looks like a ea82 oil pump reseal kit.

My question is,do the ej22 oil pumps and ea82 oil pumps require the same/similar reseal kits? I've never resealed a ej oil pump.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-1996-Subaru-Legacy-Impreza-Master-Timing-Belt-Kit-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem563d8a263dQQitemZ370399651389QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

i used that kit and 20k later all is fine. i just bought their lesser kit for another car, no seals, and the water pump gasket was paper instead of the metal oem style. i think i went to the dealer and got one there. not a big deal, but it is a corner that was cut and the price is the same.

i did not use the 'mousehead' gasket. i did not know, still don't, what it was for. apparently i didn't dismantle far enough to uncover that one.

I seem to recall that the "mousehead" gasket was used on older Subaru engines but never on EJ series engines--just sealant and o-ring on ours.

Yeah,that's my concern about this kit.Those really look like ea82 seals.