Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Even if you do treat the smell, if the cause is still there you'll never get rid of it. The first thing is to locate the source of the smell and the cause of the problem.

Moisture is usually a good cause, windows open during rain or bad gasket seals on windows and doors. Other tings are items like food rolling under seats and left there to let nature take its course upon. Leaking heater cores are know to drip coolant into the cabin as well.

A good clean out of the interior will make sure there is no trash and also give you a chance to check for wet spots.

Try parking in the sun with the windows down and see if that helps.

Thanks, but I just don't think any of it an issue. I cleaned the car very toughly, removed the front seats even, vacuumed everywhere including sticking vacuum hose into the vents, carpet cleaner, even took off seat covers and laundered them twice (the first time around the water in washer looked just gross). There is definitely no food remnants anywhere and the carpet is all dry. Plus I'm parking outside and it's pretty hot. And the windows are usually cracked open. So I'm really puzzled by this, really don't see where it could be coming from.

@NV Zeno

I'd have to say more or less so, but not 100% about this. It definitely became more notorious in the last week or so.

@Rooster2

I searched for it, but couldn't find it. Seems like most people asking about oil or gas smell, but nothing about interior.

I had a '98 GT that developed an odor similar to what you are describing. It only smelled bad if I ran the air on recirc with the AC OFF. I think there may be a filter or something that got wet and molded.. Hard to say.. but I would definitely be leaning towards the ventilation system as the culprit.

You could try getting a bottle of Ozium.. turn the vents on recirc full blast with no ac.. roll the windows up.. blast the ozium in there for about 5 seconds and then shut the door.. DO NOT BE IN THE CAR IF YOU DO THIS. Ozium is a bacteria eater and can be seriously harmful to you if you breath it in!!! Make sure you get original ozium.. as the scented ones are not as powerful as a bacteria eater.

@Rooster2

I searched for it, but couldn't find it. Seems like most people asking about oil or gas smell, but nothing about interior.

Go to "Search," this forum. Type in "Little off topic, I suppose," is the thread that I was thinking of. Advise is in response to guy asking how to get rid of tobacco smoke odor from a car. I know that is not your problem, however, lots of good advise on products to get rid of unwanted odors.

Also, make sure your A/C evaporator drain is not clogged. Should see steady drip of water underneath the car when using the A/C on hot steamy days. If not dripping freely, the evaporator can hold a bit of water that can get nasty and harbor mold and funky odors.

I definitely get a good drip of water under the car.

Tried Lysol spray today, as suggested, a fair amount into outside vents, a bit on the inside of the car, a bit into the vents on the inside. Now my car smells like Lysol so not sure if it solved the issue, but sure hope so.