Ultimate Subaru Message Board

question about putting a "carputer" in my lego

Ok, so i have a very interesting question. I have a 1991 Legacy L that I want to put a "carputer" into. Putting the computer into the car is not going to be a problem at all. I have a P4 2ghz/1GB Ram Mini-ATX compy and a 7" Liliput Touch screen, all the necessary wires, plugs and goo.

My question is this. Is there a device/feature that is currently available on the legacy that operates or runs a few seconds after the car is off?

Here's what I want to do, I'm operating with no monies at all, (otherwise i would just buy a device that already does this) I want to find a way to have the computer shutdown/hibernate shortly after the car is off, and possibly even when the car turns on.

something that runs for like 2-3 seconds but not much longer than 4. What my plan is, is setting up a relay to "short" the power button on the computer and turn it off/on when the car turns on/off.

Any ideas?

-Justin

Bummer.. I did find this though on MP3car.com

45914d1193781093-how-automatic-startup-shutdown-controller-3-50-dollars-parts-jack.gif

how it supposed work :

12V apllyed to to coil of the first relay (between 86 and 85)

This activates connection between 87 and 30 so current can flow to the coil of the second relay with will load the capacitor.

Moment capacitor if full, potential level between 86 and 85 will become 0 volts and coil 2th relay falls off.

Puls generated.

By take off the 12 volts :

Coil 2th relay (pin 86) connects to ground.

Capacitor discharges via coil

Coil active (87 connected to 30)

Capacitor discharged

Coil falls off.

Puls generated.

I dont know though..

-Justin

would the timer pulse a signal when the car switches on too?

-Justin

Most are adjustable with a whole bunch of variations on how they act - you would have to check the specs and see if there is a setting that will allow it to do both - otherwise you would need two of them - one to provide a timed signal at power-on and another to provide one at power-off.

Timer relays are very adjustable - they are typically used to run equipment or control systems for a specified interval before or after some event is to take place.

GD

I make such circuits every now and again for electrical projects I work on. I just make my own. A 555 timer and the right supporting circuitry can get the job done. Just run it off a constant 12v. But if I was only using it to "push" the power button for a few seconds I'd just get a small cap and transistor. It would only take a very small cap to have a transistor connect a circuit for a few seconds. You aren't powering anything, just connecting something, so it's pretty easy.

I had a computer system in my car for a little while, and this is how I had it set up.

I had constant 12v going to the system always. I made my own 12v power supply for it (pretty easy if you can build electronics).

I had it hibernate when the car was shut off, and this is how I made it all tick.

When the car turned on I had it give the computer "power button" and the computer PSU (more on that later) a pulse to wake up the computer. It would then come out of hibernate. I used a 555 timer for that.

Putting the computer back into hibernate was the more difficult part.

I used the serial port and a custom input board to tell the computer to go into hibernate. Basically when the key was off it would open a relay and tell the computer to go into hibernate asap. Then it would just turn itself off.

Now, when I said more on that later. I also had a relay to give the computer constant 12v, powered by the LED that indicates power to the computer. So when it got the ON pulse the LED would come on and close the relay. Then the ON pulse would go off, but the system would have power. When it shut off the LED would go off removing power to the system to prevent it sucking the battery dry.

I took the system out because someone gave me some broken iPods. Pretty much all I used the system for was music and I got one of the mp3 players working. So due to simplicity I ripped the system out.

Edited by 987687

hmm.. that is an interesting idea. I'll have to look into that. the system that is in the car now does keep power to itself and peripherals even when its "off".

do you have the wire schematic still for it? I'd really like to pick your brain. I'm not much for electrical engineering, but, I can learn :rolleyes:.

Thanks!

-Justin

I make such circuits every now and again for electrical projects I work on. I just make my own. A 555 timer and the right supporting circuitry can get the job done. Just run it off a constant 12v. But if I was only using it to "push" the power button for a few seconds I'd just get a small cap and transistor. It would only take a very small cap to have a transistor connect a circuit for a few seconds. You aren't powering anything, just connecting something, so it's pretty easy.

I had a computer system in my car for a little while, and this is how I had it set up.

I had constant 12v going to the system always. I made my own 12v power supply for it (pretty easy if you can build electronics).

I had it hibernate when the car was shut off, and this is how I made it all tick.

When the car turned on I had it give the computer "power button" and the computer PSU (more on that later) a pulse to wake up the computer. It would then come out of hibernate. I used a 555 timer for that.

Putting the computer back into hibernate was the more difficult part.

I used the serial port and a custom input board to tell the computer to go into hibernate. Basically when the key was off it would open a relay and tell the computer to go into hibernate asap. Then it would just turn itself off.

Now, when I said more on that later. I also had a relay to give the computer constant 12v, powered by the LED that indicates power to the computer. So when it got the ON pulse the LED would come on and close the relay. Then the ON pulse would go off, but the system would have power. When it shut off the LED would go off removing power to the system to prevent it sucking the battery dry.

I took the system out because someone gave me some broken iPods. Pretty much all I used the system for was music and I got one of the mp3 players working. So due to simplicity I ripped the system out.

This is good! I like this. Here's a schematic for the above and a explantion:

Source

carPC Turn On / Shutdown Controller

Material needed

2x SPDT standard automotive relays - automotive store or electronic store

2x Diode - Radio shack or electronic store

1x Serial port connector - Old serial device (mouse, joystick etc...) or radioshack or electronic store

1x Fuse holder + fuse <- VERY IMPORTANT !!!!! (if power source already fused then you're ok)

10g or 12g wire for providing power to the inverter (bigger is better)

16g to 18g wire for your relay triggers, grounds and 5V connection

Misc. connectors

In the BIOS set your motherboard to turn on after powerloss so the second you feed power to the power supply it will turn on.

Get an old serial port device, rip the connector off of it, take the cover off and solder a wire on PIN 8. If you look very closly the pins will be numbered on the connector. When PIN 8 is not getting 5v, it will initiate the windows shutdown. (credit to Laidback) Refer to the diagram for wiring.

Go into your control panel -> Power Options - Create a generic UPS with these settings (picture bellow this one)

note: some versions of windows xp does not have the UPS tab (ie: windows xp home) - xGROMx

More details and hints:

-The numbers you see on the diagram (87,88,85,30) are the pinout of a standard 12v SPDT relay

-The >| symbol are diodes, they are crucial to making this work.

-You can use your amp's turn on wire to make this work instead of ACC, however some amps may "thump" when the carPC turns on. The real ACC can be found in the head unit harness.

-Some cars turn off the ACC while being started, this may trigger the hibernation. The diagram below will solve this problem

Updated diagram - will only work on ignitions that have a key switch (most cars do). To know if your car has a key switch, leave your door open and put the key in the ignition w/o turning, if you hear a door chime, you have a key switch. It can be found right on the ignition plug itself. This may be a little more advanced for some users, testing with a multimeter is the only way to find the right wire.

This will only trigger hibernation when the key is removed from the ignition

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updates - July 2006

Alternative to the key switch method, to avoid hibernation being triggered when starting and the ACC turns off during cranking. -Important to follow the diode connections as shown below

Shutdown3.jpg

Enjoy

So ya :grin: I would combine the methods together like so:

Wire in a relays with the caps like here:

Bummer.. I did find this though on MP3car.com

45914d1193781093-how-automatic-startup-shutdown-controller-3-50-dollars-parts-jack.gif

how it supposed work :

12V apllyed to to coil of the first relay (between 86 and 85)

This activates connection between 87 and 30 so current can flow to the coil of the second relay with will load the capacitor.

Moment capacitor if full, potential level between 86 and 85 will become 0 volts and coil 2th relay falls off.

Puls generated.

By take off the 12 volts :

Coil 2th relay (pin 86) connects to ground.

Capacitor discharges via coil

Coil active (87 connected to 30)

Capacitor discharged

Coil falls off.

Puls generated.

This will create the "on pulse". Then wire up your power inverter relay off the LED like 987687 did, this will keep the power inverter on until the computer shuts off. Then wire in a relay to the ACC on the ignition for the shutdown circuit, so that when you turn off the car, it sends a signal to the carputer to hibernate, and when it does that and the LED turns off, the power inverter turns off.

I think that is what you are looking for :grin: Turns the carputer on, and then cleanly shuts it down without draining you battery, or your wallet...

You might get a second pulse from what I have read, but just set the carputer/windows so that it does nothing when the power button is pushed. You are using the UPS funtion to control the power now, so no need for the power button to do anything, once the carputer is on. At least I think you can do this... (I just verified that this is true...)

Edited by eulogious
Added info about 2nd pulse

• 3 weeks later...

looking at that diagram of the on/off setup. Seems like one thing wouldn't work.

The center relay (at least how I'm reading it), looks like it would be powering the pin 8 Comm connection at all times wouldn't it? shouldn't the 5v be to the 87a?

edit:

How i'm reading it, if the key is on the "ign" position, it would have the relay switched on to the 87 pin. when the key is in the off position and out.. it would switch off the relay and put it back to 87a. wouldnt that be what you would want in the first place? 5v to pin-8 causes the power management shutdown right?

-Justin

Edited by crazyman03

looking at that diagram of the on/off setup. Seems like one thing wouldn't work.

The center relay (at least how I'm reading it), looks like it would be powering the pin 8 Comm connection at all times wouldn't it? shouldn't the 5v be to the 87a?

You forgot to read one important part man!

When PIN 8 is not getting 5v, it will initiate the windows shutdown.

:D

LOL Where the hell did you read that! I must've re read that thing 50 times and missed it. I remember seeing it but couldn't find it again.

curious though, How would that work? I mean, if i had a UPS plugged into my computer, setup and ready to self power down... and i removed the comm port, wouldn't it shut itself down? or is it just the way that the "power scheme" is setup?

I attempted this, and my PC didn't power down.

-Justin

curious though, How would that work? I mean, if i had a UPS plugged into my computer, setup and ready to self power down... and i removed the comm port, wouldn't it shut itself down? or is it just the way that the "power scheme" is setup?

I attempted this, and my PC didn't power down.

-Justin

I would imagine just removing the plug would not do it. Windows probably needs to know that the plug is there, and then and only then does it shutdown if it loses 5v on pin 8. That would be my guess.

You wouldn't want so subaru junky accidentally bumping the UPS and knocking the comm port loose and not realizing it at his job and shutting down the firewall now would you ;):lol:

I don't have a computer that I care to try this on right now, but that would be my guess. The comm port needs to be there inorder for windows to initiate a shutdown. This is just a guess though :D

I would imagine just removing the plug would not do it. Windows probably needs to know that the plug is there, and then and only then does it shutdown if it loses 5v on pin 8. That would be my guess.

You wouldn't want so subaru junky accidentally bumping the UPS and knocking the comm port loose and not realizing it at his job and shutting down the firewall now would you ;):lol:

I don't have a computer that I care to try this on right now, but that would be my guess. The comm port needs to be there inorder for windows to initiate a shutdown. This is just a guess though :D

You could create a virtual comm port and send the signal to a virtual pin 8. If you REALLY wanted ... So no, you don't NEED there to be a comm port......