Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ever since I got my car, the driver side window hasn't gone up all the way because it starts curling in then gets jammed into the weather stripping near the top. I have to push out on the window as it goes up. Kind of annoying. I somehow figured out how to reduce how high the window goes up but not sure how to keep it from coming in. The window gusset is ripped pretty good from the window going too high. Previous owner(s) went in and screwed around with things as evidence by the torn plastic lining. The Haynes manual isn't too helpful but it says something about having an assistant preload the window to make a good fit against the weather stripping. I searched the forum and found some information. This is a '96 outback with auto windows. Any suggestions? Guess I could buy a new car. That was a joke. Have been out in the sun all day monkeying around with the window. I compared things to the properly functioning passenger side and saw no discernible differences.

Edited by goof_ball

I am thinking it makes a lot of sense to go to a wrecking yard and buying all the internal window channeling, guides, winder, and weather stripping, and replacing these parts with what you got. Otherwise, trying to correct what parts are bent, and throwing the window alignment out of wack will be difficult.

Any signs of accident damage in there? Tape lines on the door edges? Dents on the inside but not on the outside?

Not sure how you would adjust the "preload" of the window, but might it have something to do with the lower mounting point(s) of the regulator?

No signs of damage. Of course, I woke up this morning to heavy rain and on my way to work, I noticed there was some water on the panel just below the speaker cover by the rear view mirror. I should have stayed on the couch instead of working on the car.

Any signs of accident damage in there? Tape lines on the door edges? Dents on the inside but not on the outside?

Not sure how you would adjust the "preload" of the window, but might it have something to do with the lower mounting point(s) of the regulator?

To correct your problem the inner door panel and the plastic weather shield need to be removed. Only then can you get at the various fasteners that need to be adjusted to get the glass to its proper angle.

I can tell you that the proper setup for the glass in these cars is very involved and not for the first time DIYer. Because the windows are frameless, the FSM (factory service manual) devotes 5 pages just for the door glass adjustment of the front doors. I've done dozens of glass repairs and changes on all kinds of cars over the years, including changing non power window setups to power window setups, but I've never done a Subie. After seeing what the manual has to offer, I would suggest that you take the car to either a Subie dealership, or to a bodyshop that your Subie dealer sends their repairs to.

There really is no way that someone can explain in words alone what has to be done. Even if you saw the FSM, I think you'd be too intimidated to tackle the job. Good Luck!