Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Legacy sometimes wont start.

Thanks for any help with this.

1996 2.2 Legacy Wagon

The car starts fine when it's been sitting for at least a couple of hours, but if I turn it off then back on again sometimes it will just turn over and not start. Push starting it does work. Check engine light came on when problem started and has been on since.

I have had this problem before and the dealer told me it was a recalled item and fixed it for free. I talked to another dealership today the person wasn't familiar with the problem.

I think I remember them telling me it was just some sort of sensor that was bad. Any ideas on what it is would be appreciated.

I've had this happen with a 2.2 swap and it seemed to be due to a bad crank sensor. But I don't think it would run if push started. So perhaps that isn't it.

You have checked the wireing to all the key sensors?

You are aware most auto parts chains will read the code for free?

You are aware that an ODB2 reader to buy is only 50 bucks?

And welcome to the board!

Please update your location so that it displays. Perhaps you're close to a member. Often members here are willing to assist. But we're not so good at guessing where folks are located.

Welcome! And +1 to what davebugs said. Get the codes pulled and let us know what they are--get the number (P0xxx) and not some verbal description.

It's better than just guessing and throwing parts at it. Hey, if the car wants to tell you what's wrong, take advantage of it!