Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2000 Forester S with a 2.5L SOHC EJ251. It has a loud Clanking on the passenger side front of the engine and smokes a little. A Mechnic told me it sounded like the connector for the rod and piston was slapping the piston wall. I'm trying to find a replacement engine. Will the EJ25 DOHC work? Or does anyone know where I can find one except for Jasperengines.com?

I have a 2000 Forester S with a 2.5L SOHC EJ251. It has a loud Clanking on the passenger side front of the engine and smokes a little. A Mechnic told me it sounded like the connector for the rod and piston was slapping the piston wall. I'm trying to find a replacement engine. Will the EJ25 DOHC work? Or does anyone know where I can find one except for Jasperengines.com?

http://www.car-part.com

SOHC to DOHC swap would be lots of work. For an engine try here: http://www.ccrengines.com

make sure it's not something else. the new style timing belt tensioners are notorious for making a loud rapping/slapping noise that sounds terrible when they start to fail. the tensioner has "give" to it and bounces, particularly under load. although that is on the drivers side so should come from there, but still i'd check. i replaced one last summer just like this.

just make sure it's not something else first. piston slap, failing tensioner, timing belt, oil pump, etc.

you'll want to stick with SOHC, they're a better engine anyway.