Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my car is a 94 legacy.

i stopped getting anything from the cylinder closest to the driver seat.

checked plugs, wires and stuff and they were all fine and then switched injectors to see if that was the problem and it wasnt.

so can anyone tell me what might be the problem?

Sorry but a whole bunch of questions jump to mind: What are the symptoms--driveability? Non-start? How did you find the "bad" cylinder?

CEL? Did you pull the codes?

You say you checked plugs & wires--did you try swapping them around?

Give us all the specifics that you can and maybe a light will go on somewhere!

Good luck.

ya i already figured on doing a compression test. gonna borrow a friends tommarow.

ive had a code 35 for a long time and i dont know if its showing any other codes or anything.

uh when it happened i was going to a friends house. went fine out the driveway and down the road to the interstate. got on and after a little while i noticed i didnt have near as much power as i should have. wasnt pulling up hills right and everything.

when i got off at the exit i was going to i noticed it downshifted fine down to my stop at the light. when i went to turn and took off i noticed bad hesitation and that i surely wasnt getting the power i should because of the way it was revving up and eveything and by how bad it idled.

took it to my friends house and checked plugs and wires. the plug in the cylinder im having problems with was really black and nasty and was fouled out. so i picked up a set and replaced all the plugs. switched wires and all that to make sure they were all good. all getting strong sparks and everything.

changed injectors around and found it wasnt the injector at fault.

the problem still remains in that cylinder.

how exactly do i pull the codes for it?

the other 3 plugs looked like they were burning a little rich and hot but nothing to abnormal. the one plug had black junk fouling it all up.

just waiting to do compression test tommarow and everything.

but my thought is the rings are gone and the pistons cracked possibly.

btw the rings havent been to awesome for a while. my car had a salvaged title. the engine was immaculate when i got it. i think they rebuilt it and didnt hone the cylinders and nows the time that one crapped out.

If compression on that cylinder is low, it might make more sense financially, to swap in a used 2.2 motor. They can be had for not much money. That is what I did when I owned my 91 Leggie.

im already of the same mindset. possibly look for a wrecked subie or something so i could have a parts car and yank the engine out :)

I'd still pull the head first. You never know it might be a burnt valve. I somehow got "oily black gunk" stuck in my head. After re-reading, I just see "nasty black gunk", nothing about oil. :o No oil in the cylinder is more indicative of a burnt valve than a cracked or melted piston. Though the latter is still possible.