Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If it is simply a duplicate car key that you want, then go to any hardware store, or even the auto repair center at a Wal Mart. They will cut you a new keys(s) on the spot. Lot easier and less costly to do this, then going to the dealer.

You don't say, but if your only key was lost, then call a locksmith shop that makes house calls to have the guy cut you a new key at your house, or where the car is located. You will prolly need to show an ID to the locksmith to show that you are not stealing the car.

Good Luck!

If it is simply a duplicate car key that you want, then go to any hardware store, or even the auto repair center at a Wal Mart. They will cut you a new keys(s) on the spot. Lot easier and less costly to do this, then going to the dealer.

You don't say, but if your only key was lost, then call a locksmith shop that makes house calls to have the guy cut you a new key at your house, or where the car is located. You will prolly need to show an ID to the locksmith to show that you are not stealing the car.

Good Luck!

Thanks,

But I did have duplicate made and it does nothing but open the door. I need a computer coded key. Also I have the original worn some, key which still works.

You may need to go to the dealer with proof of ownership.

GD

I almost got into a tiff with a dealership over this.. I needed a key with the rubber on it because when I brought the car I only had the sub key and the valet key..

The guy was like I need this and that and at the time I was waiting for the DMV to send me the title.. I should of asked him you need to see my SS# too?!?

I don't like going to that dealership anyways despite it being about 16 miles closer to me.

dealers cut me keys all the time. which means they should be able to tell you the code as well. i never show any proof of anything, i had one cut two weeks ago and had a friend pick it up! :lol: i'm sure it's a nationwide subaru database or they have access to it, so any dealer should be able to get it, online or otherwise.

When I had mine made (I supplied the blanks) the dealer asked me for a reggy or title. i started pulling out the title and he said that was good enough. He didnt look at it but since I had it with me he figured it was right.

Another nice thing about the dealer.... you know instantly if it works or not.