Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Code 35 - Which Solenoid?

Hi guys,

I just picked up a 1994 Loyale 5spd (SPFI, I think) and it is giving me a code 35 - not sure what to look for. My searches haven't revealed a lot so far. I have seen the ERG valve open and close during operation so I would assume that piece is ok - when I move the valve with my fingers it slides easily and does a little click when it closes. There seems to be two different 'solenoids' I suppose that sit on the intake - one goes to the purge can and another to the egr valve. Should I be checking those 'solenoids' (if thats what they are) for resistance to determine functionality?

- I don't detect any vacuum leaks.

- The PCV valve seems to shake nicely when I pull it out.

- The PCV lines don't seem blocked.

- I have tried blocking the EGR valve line and the CEL still won't go off.

Any other tips, tricks or previous posts that I can't find?

Thanks a bunch,

Dean

Update - I was able to get resistance from one of the solenoids (the one with the white clip - furthest right), but the other is definitely dead (the one with the black clip furthest left). There is power to both.

How can I tell which one is which? Is it the PCS solenoid or the EGR solenoid? If you are facing the engine, it is on the left of the two and has one vacuum hose going to the canister and the other vac hose goes to something (washer fluid pump or something) - right in the corner, closest to the passenger.

I hear that you have to order both of these solenoids from the dealer - I am just unsure of the name of mine that is broken. I am guessing that the black clip one furthest to the left is the PCS?

Dean

I have to clear the CEL before it will get through emissions test (air care in canada) and I suppose that would do it.

Wouldn't capping the lines also increase my emissions? If not - would any old electronics wholesaler have the right resistor?

Dean

For the EGR just bypass the solenoid and hook the two lines together. The solneoid is only used to turn OFF the EGR durring cold operation. For the test, warm the engine up then plug the lines together. After the test disconnect the EGR and put a small bolt in the line.

The purge line for the canistor will not change your emissions. Just cap the lines and install the resistor.

Any good electronics supply (no - not radio shack :rolleyes:) can get the required resistors.

GD

Update - I picked up a handfull (more than I needed) of the 5 watt, 33 Ohm resistors as per GD's recommendation, then soldered one in place of the PCS. I turned the car on and the CEL went away. Next I ran it through Air Care and it passed with flying colors!

GD =- thanks again for the info.

You guys rule.