Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Getting to break down my first EA81

Oh joy!!! NOT!

Engine had been running rough and felt like it was missing. So I pulled all the plugs. One (of course being the one behind the alt) was loose when I pulled the wire. Checked it out and tried to reinstall. When I tried to rethread it it would be at the wrong angle.

Pulled the alt off and got a better look. Damed threads are pooched! Tried to clean them up, no better.

So this leaves me with only one option, pull the engine, tear it apart so I can see about getting the hole redone, or find a replacement. Either way it's going to kill what little excess finances we have.

Bloody Hel!

You can install a spark plug heli-coil without pulling the engine or removing the head. It's not that hard at all really. And even if you do pull the head they are easily removed without pulling the whole engine.

Get the heli-coil and use some thick axle grease on the tap so the tap holds all the chips from cutting the threads. Then install the heli-coil and get back on the road.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Just make sure you do what GD suggested and put a good amount of heavy grease in the tap to keep the metal shavings out of the engine. Just stressing that point because it's very important to not have metal shavings in your cylinders.

You want as little metal to get in there as possible, but don't stress about it in the extreme. It's Aluminium and the cylinders are steel. For the most part if a shaving or two drops in there it's going to get shot out the exhaust port in short order. If it doesn't it will very likely just burn away - small shavings like that don't have any way to dissipate heat durring combustion so it's very likely they will simply vaporize as the melting point of aluminium is relatively low.

GD

Got R done!

GD you were right on the simplicity of it. I gave it a coat as suggested and got to work (after removing the alt/fan bracket). I got it about half of the way in and thought it was done, so I pulled it out, saw it wasn't done, cleaned and re-greased the bit and finished it off.

34223_1488953659871_1114842834_31429096_4440596_n.jpg

Then to be on the safe side I MacGyvered a way to vacuum the cylinder for strays.....

34223_1488953619870_1114842834_31429095_1761151_n.jpg

Now I have to get the belts and alt back on after I get the gap for the plug. Stopped in before I grabbed my manuals.