Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When removing a radiator cap is it usual to have a strong suction/sucking feeling and noise accompany it? The upper radiator hose (which is new and perhaps a tiny bit too long) was under a bit of pressure and popped out when i removed the cap.

If your engine was cold when it did this (sucking in), then you need a new radiator cap.

A properly functioning radiator cap will allow coolant from the overflow-tank to be drawn back in to the system, without causing a hose to collapse under negative internal pressure.

If your engine was cold when it did this (sucking in), then you need a new radiator cap.

A properly functioning radiator cap will allow coolant from the overflow-tank to be drawn back in to the system, without causing a hose to collapse under negative internal pressure.

I have been noticing that my overflow tank's level has not changed at all, despite the system constantly running low on coolant. I'll change it and let you know. Should I get an OE or is an aftermarket ok?

• 1 year later...
I had a heater hose drive me nuts like your problem, I finally found it on a cold day when I spotted the steam back by the fire wall.

Congrats on finding your leak, better make sure all your hoses are in good shape. I replaced every hose after my problem.

I've got this issue too I went to remove my starter one day and I bumped the heater hose and I removed the starter like right after I got home.. i got a nice squirt of hot coolant on me.

I'm sure the hose is pretty easy to find?