Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5spd trans for EJ swap into FWD hatch?

scrap487

I have an '86 std with an ea71, I've been slowly collecting parts for an ej swap over the last year or so and one thing I want to change is the transmission and I want to keep it a FWD car(really... I do, honest, I swear I'm not crazy). The 4 speed is geared rediculously for the ea71 for the kind of driving I do, its borderline frustrating to drive out in the country/mountains; granted I probably wouldn't have any issues with this 4 speed and an ej22 but i want a 5 speed. How many people have done EJ swaps into FWD subies? What are my choices for 5 speed transmissions and which am I most likely to find easily? I know I could use a d/r 5spd but I'm pretty sure I'd have to cut out part of the tranny tunnel which I'd rather not do, along with there being some dead weight being a 4wd tranny. I have no idea what subaru made for FWD cars outside of the two '86 std hatches I've owned so far and an early 90's legacy auto a friend of mine had... search didnt net me much.

if you're doing an EJ swap then a FWD EJ trans might save you from messing with an adapter plate. i've gotten two EJ FWD trans, one for $150 and the other was free from someone i had never met before, there's not much demand for them so they're not worth much. you'll mostly be looking at 90-95 impreza/legacy's for a FWD MT.

Edited by grossgary

Aren't the splines the same for the axles too?

Good call Yo'buddy, Napa lists the 23 spline inner on 93 and 94 FWD manual Impreza's only. With any other transaxle he would have the same issues as the 5 lug swap people do sourcing an axle.

Good call Yo'buddy, Napa lists the 23 spline inner on 93 and 94 FWD manual Impreza's only. With any other transaxle he would have the same issues as the 5 lug swap people do sourcing an axle.

Exactly, but I believe, from my reading that is, that only the 93 FWD Imp's had

the 23 spline axles.

And I know of quite a few of the those sitting around out here, between the

local JY's and CL listings.

Twitch

PS: Isn't there going to be some clearance issues for the tunnel?

And mounting the tranny is probably gonna be a PITA