Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hydrolic valve lifter engines

EA71's may have been produced with hydro-lifters outside the US. I haven't seen one in person but I have heard of them as well as some of them being fuel injected. Defintitely nothing earlier than the EA71 (EA63, etc) had anything but solid lifters.

The only engine that for sure had both in the US was the EA81. 83/84 automatic transmission cars had hydro lifters as well as all EA81's produced in '85 and later years. Hydro lifter engines have a gold or silver sticker on the valve covers that says "Do not Adjust Valve Clearances". If the stickers are missing and you suspect it's a hydro engine anyway then you can remove the valve covers and inspect the push-rods. Hydro engines have steel one-peice push rods while solid lifter engines have aluminium pushrods with steel caps.

EA82's are always hydro.

EJ18's are hydro.

EJ22's are hydro till the phase-II engines which went back to solid.

I think most of the EJ25's are solid but I'm not as familar with them.

GD

From about 1997 with the phase 2 ej22 to 2004 they went to solid lifters. So maybe the early ej25 in 1996 had hydraulic lifters, but that would be the only one. Now (2005 and later) I believe everything has hydraulic lifters, correct?