Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hi,

on a 2000 outback sport.

one of the fog lights has a cracked lens, and the screws are totally stripped and possibly rusted into the housing.

im trying to find a replacement lens at the least, so that perhaps if i drilled out hte screws, i could get it to work again.. but everywhere i look, i keep getting results for differnt fog lights. this is not the RS model nor the L model. but even when i explicitly search for the outback sport, i get round fog lights, and my car has the square fog lights. with a shroud around it. which i need two of as well..

if anyone knows what im talking about.id appreciate the tip.

thanks

If you need to drill out the screws, a friend recently showed me how to do this in a cool way. Purchase a drill bit smaller then the screw diameter, that is designed to drill turning left (counter clock wise). Use a reversible drill, put the setting to turn left. As the bit bites into the screw, it will be twisting the screw left, and eventually will back out the screw with little drilling. I was amazed how easy this works. As a bonus, by backing out the screw, the threads are not damaged, so a new replacement screw threads into the hole easily. Also, suggest soaking down the rusty screws with penetrating oil, or PB blaster. Let the oil soak in many hours, (overnight is best), before drilling.

You may be better off buying after market replacement fog lights. Best done, by removing one of your old fog lamps, and taking the unit to an auto parts store, or even Wal-Mart to match up size wise to get one to fit your car. This is what I did, when replacing a fog light on my Audi. I was able to buy nice lights at a good price.

i did check ebay.. except.. whenever i do a search i get round lights.. which are on the 2.5rs. my car has square ones..

and ive even seen sites advertise fog lights for sale that are explicitly for non 2.5rs or L models which my car would be under the category...

i started to think they were aftermarket lights but htey say subaru on them.. i just dont know how to find em.. without going to a dealership.. which woudl be very expensive..

Have you checked any of the internet parts recyclers like carparts.com?

Here's two local foreign parts yards with good stocks and good reps and plenty of Soobs. I don't know for sure if they ship, but it doesn't hurt to ask. If not and they have them, I could act as the intermediary to get them to you.

All Foreign 412-782-5580

Wagner's 800-472-2830