Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I just got back into town last night from another trip up to Wyoming (Cheyenne, Casper, Rock springs, Evanston, then back home).

During the trip, My little '91 Lego ran like a champ! She shifted smooth, had decent power going up the hills (it was bad.. in my '88 GL, semi's were passing ME going up hills :-\).

Every time I stopped for gas I let the engine run for a minute or two (using the turbo/shortun option on the alarm). Weather or not this was necessary doesn't matter much... I just felt after a 300 mile strait drive i should let it sit for a few seconds :rolleyes:. I checked the Crank pulley to make sure it was still true as well as other things and closed up. Good, Good and Good.

Get back into Colorado and fill up around Loveland/Ft collins.. get out of the car and notice a /slight/ tick.. not loud much but noticeable.

Get home and park it, the tick is almost as loud as it was on my GL! :eek:

I was under the impression that the EJ22's didn't tick unless something was terribly wrong.

I was planning on doing another oil change when i got back home, and throw some Seafoam in there. would that clean it up? maybe some 10w30?

-Justin

They can and do tick when the lifters bleed down. I had one start making noise on my 96. I changed the oil with Valvoline Maxlife and it went away for about 2000 miles, but I thought I heard it again about a week ago. Hasn't done it since so it might have been my imagination. I'm keeping an ear out for it. If it does come back I may end up removing all the lifters and checking them over to see if any need replacement.

oil change did the trick. I was planning on doing it anyway but that worked out.

Next question though. I'm needing to get plates for the little roo and have a CEL pointing to the knock sensor. rather than just replace it (no $$) is there a way to get the light to shut up for 20 minutes? just long enough to do emissions and call it good?

-Justin

is there a way to get the light to shut up for 20 minutes?

Generally a resistor around 560 kilo-ohms in place of the sensor will do the trick. Not sure about that earlier model, but on later models the ECU is looking for a certain impedance range in the circuit.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Haaa! :lol: At least the month was the same.

3/4 oil capacity is like a whole quart low. :eek: The poor thing was starving! :lol:

on my ej22 that's how I knew it was low as well.. not like I don't check it or anything but I was dealing with leaks and all as well