Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which tranny FLUID which is Best 4eat 90'

I own a 90' Legacy automatic fwd 4eat

I'm getting the tranny rebuild right now. I would like to know the best Tranny Fluid that i could use??

I live in an island in the Caribbean and its hot year-around plus i live on a mountain and i go up it everyday. I've heard Synthetic for temp. but some people say it damages or it's does not make a difference. I have read about amsoil, royal purple, redline, etc. they are all ATF and my car takes dexron III. I will really appreciate some input on this products and in the type i should use for my specific model since my Mechanic is almost done with it

Thanks

Edited by blass001
better question

No suggestion since I've never had a Subaru automatic. On my wife's 13 year old Maxima I just use the most basic (Walmart!) Dexron III compatible ATF but I keep it "fresh" by doing a drain-and-fill on a regular schedule.

Something you might consider in a hot climate with hill-climbing and stop-and-go city driving is an auxiliary cooler. Install it in the return line from the radiator to the tranny and mount it out in front of the radiator. I also put a Magnefine filter in the return line.

Good luck.

i'd change the fluid completely sometime after the rebuild, but they should recommend/tell you that. if that's the case just put generic cheap stuff in anyway possibly since it's coming out soon.

if you believe heat is an issue get an automatic transmission cooler, i use them and shops often recommend or require them on problematic auto trans (like the SVX).

Plain old ATF. Whatever generic brand you find cheap. Unlike gear oils, ATF is pretty consistent and the specifications are pretty rigid.

What is important is not that it be a super premium brand, but rather that it is changed with some regularity. Every 30k is a good rule. Given your driving conditions, an extra tranny cooler is a good idea. Heat breaks down oil - keep it cool and clean and it will last nearly forever.

It is best done by draining and refilling the transmission twice - driving it about 10 miles between. This flushes out the ATF that stays in the torque converter when you drain it.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder