Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so i got my engine in my car today. got everything hooked up and it fired up. after working the cooling system kinks out so it would run without overheating i noticed some other things.

on my test drive it didnt have near as much power as it should. on a hill i usually drive up in 3rd gear part way then switch to second gear and have no problem pulling it i had to go first gear the whole way because second gear would bog down.

noticed some check engine trouble codes.

code51-abnormal signal from neutral/inhibitor switch. ok what is this?

code22-knock sensor. my friend in his zeal to help me cut the wire to the knock sensor when taking the engine out. he put it back together and taped it but its possible he didnt do it right.

code33-vehicle speed sensor. mmm ok not sure on this one that much either.

im sure someone could help me with some of this :)

oh ya since i know someone will ask- its a 94 legacy. 2.2l 16 valve

Edited by lone500

Seems to me I remember the knock sensor wire being shielded... Might not have been but either way if it was cut it needs to be soldered back together. Subarus are very picky about their knock sensors. Most other cars don't give a damn, Subarus will hardly run in some cases with a bad knock sensor.

VSS and Neutral switch... They're right next to each other, and probably have the same plug. Make sure you didn't mix them up. Plug color should match the connector.

Seems to me I remember the knock sensor wire being shielded... Might not have been but either way if it was cut it needs to be soldered back together. Subarus are very picky about their knock sensors. Most other cars don't give a damn, Subarus will hardly run in some cases with a bad knock sensor.

VSS and Neutral switch... They're right next to each other, and probably have the same plug. Make sure you didn't mix them up. Plug color should match the connector.

looked like my knock sensor wire had had some funny stuff done to it before. and im not really sure what soldered means.

and where exactly are the vss and neutral switch? ill double check but im not sure which ones those are.

Speed sensor and neutral switch are mounted to the drivers side of the transmission. The wires run up to meet the main engine harness on top of the right (passenger) side of the bellhousing.

You've never heard of a soldering iron? :confused:

Solder: Any of various fusible alloys, usually tin and lead, used to join metallic parts.

To solder: To unite or repair (parts, for example) with solder.

I think you will need to replace the knock sensor. I can't see how soldering, taping, or whatever, will repair the knock sensor, as the correct electrical imput traveling through the wire is crucial. With a bad sensor, engine timing is so retarded that the car will run like a sick slug with poor power, and gas millage will be down.

Little knock sensor related story. At least once a year I make a run home to Ohio, a 600 mile trip. the old wagon used to do it on less than two full tanks. Last few years noted it was taking almost 3 tanks to make the trip and the old car just didn't seem to have the get up and go it once had. Chalked it up to age as I don't have what I once had. Returning from Ohio, threw a check engine code that turned out to be the knock sensor. Removed it and noticed its housing was cracked. New sensor and the engine now runs great and the old fuel economy has returned.