Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Removing Wagon Rear Gate Interior Panel

So after the rear glass was replaced the glass left behind by the repairman is driving me nuts in the rear gate of my 08 Outback wagon. I see there are 4 press in anchor fasteners along the lower edge of the interior panel that should pop out but there are two round fasteners at the top with a square interior that have little locking anchors that seem to snap into place. Before I take a sawzall to it, what is the trick to releasing these two top fasteners?

I don't have the answer you seek, however, having cleaned up broken window glass, the best way to do so is with a vacuum cleaner. Suggest using gloves to pick up pieces. A few years back, I neglected the gloves, and got a sliver of glass deep in my finger print. It hurt every time that I pushed a key on the keyboard. It took a hand surgeon to remove the sliver. I learned my lesson.

Wasn't going to attempt it barefoot either. I've already attached a small rubber tube to the end of my vacuum and if I can just get that friggin panel off I will be in every nook and cranny until that dang maraca band stops playing in my car!

I may end up taking it back to the glass shop to have them remove it and drive home to clean it and leave it off until I'm sure it's all out.

On my 01 OBW I pulled the lower 4 with a door panel tool (small fork shaped pry bar) and the uppers are just snap in. Use the door panel tool again (CAREFULLY) as a pry bar if it helps. Your 08 might be different and/or you may break something if you are not careful. As always YMMV Good Luck!

Yeah, they cleaned up but there were bits and pieces down deep in the nooks and crannies that they "overlooked".

I'd let them have another crack at it.

Shoddy workmanship and lack of pride in a job well done don't set well with me. Probably why I do most of my own work.

I had someone break into my Van here at home last week. Drivers side window. The shop "got it all" or they'd definately get to try until they got it done correctly. Not rocket science - this IS their trade. They even have the correct trim tools and a lot more experience in doing the job.

Thanks for the advice esp. davebugs. I called the shop and they came back to fix it. In addition to removing the interior panel, they had to take out the rear lens assembly where the glass had worked its way down into. YIKES! I would have been at this for a long time.

BTW, those two top "fasteners" are dummies. The piece is held on in other areas from the sides.

NOTE: The rear gate latch assembly on this 08 that is kept in a garage is already rusting!