Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tod!!??

again thanx to everyone who helped me with my timing belt slip, which is great now btw.

my 91 loyale spfi is definately losin it and I dont want this to happen again. I dont have the money/time to EJ it but I do have access to a trusty ea 81 that ive personally had in two cars.

How difficult would it be to EA81 it? and with a weber how would the power compare to my EA82?

I searched and found that the water jackets on EA81 are better than mine.

Which way would y'all go on this one???

Some of the Loyale Bodied Subarus came Factory with EA81´s Too (Here in my Country they even came with other Smaller engines too) so the EA81 will Work in your 91 Loyale, maybe you will "Feel" Somehow a little bit Less Power / Response, but Just a Li´l if the EA81 with Weber is Well Tuned; also you´ll Get Rid of the Timin´ Belts! :)

it Worth Try... Specially if the EA81 is Known to be Good.

Kind Regards.

I'm sure GD will pop in, but I think an EA81 will practically be drop in.

The exhaust may not line up quite right, but I know the intake manifold will bolt

up.

So its pretty much just getting everything else attached and lined up.

I know EA82 alts are the same, but you'll have to hunt for a power steering

bracket, if you have power steering that is...

Twitch

I have an ea81 in my GL that used to be an EA82. Bratman did the swap before I bought it, but it has the ea82 intake and complete FI system. Someone on here makes a custom bracket for PS. So no need to do a carb swap

well it turns out I dont actually have access to the motor that i thought i did:mad:

I would like to get my loyale con queso running right again asap for cheapness. Would new heads fix the problem? Do you have to change both sides or can i just replace the noisy one? passenger side is quiet and smooth.

Thanx, Rob

well, ill be darned if that doesnt just about cover it, thanx very much. GD, you are the man.

i dont hear any noise from the passenger side, do i need to tear it down?

of course i do realize im askin for trouble but i still wanna know

Rob

TOD is usually a pretty benign condition - noisy - yes, annoying - yes, but the death of the engine? NO!!

the hydraulic lash adjusters have simply lost pressure due to a lack of oil. if filling the oil to the proper level (and keeping it there) and running the engine for a while does not correct the problem, then they can often be pulled out, cleaned and pumped up manually. a search here will turn up TONS of info on this "problem"...

my old 89 GL would develop the TOD if i forgot to check the oil often enough. top it off and keep driving and it would correct itself in 15-20 miles of driving.

Save yourself the headache of getting it wrong the first time and just order a set of reman lifters before you even start. That and the pump seals, cam tower o-rings, etc should take care of any ticking you might be having.

I spent a lot of time and energy finding used lifters that got rid of the ticking for me but they still aren't perfect and I don't imagine they will last forever without ticking. It already came back a little more - I changed the oil and it vanished. This time I'm not using the Rislone/MMO/ATF because it just causes them to start ticking sooner after an oil change. Most of the cleaning benefits that were to be had from it already have been.

GD