Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea to ej shift linkage

T'subaru

Im doing an ej conversion on my '90 wagon. I plan on using the ej 5 spd shift linkage and assume it will have to be shortened. Ive installed a 4" lift and my question is how to approach shifter mounting to the chassis. I dont recall reading about this, will the linkage function at an increased angle? or will a custom bracket be needed?

Thanks, Mark

well in a car that is not lifted you have to cut and shorten the EJ linkage about an inch. both sections.

with your car being lifted. you may not have to do anything. the extra inch may help.

then you just have to find a way to hold up the back of the shifter linkage. i have done it two ways. i have used the EJ bushing and bolted it to the trans tunnle. or i have used the EA bushing and adapted it to the linkage.

Typically with a 4", the linkage works out OK without really changing much at all. If you like you can extend the shifter itself up a bit and either make or buy EJ shift components to shorten the throw - thus bringing the shifter back *up* to near it's original posistion and at the same time shortening the throw so the longer shifter doesn't have to be pushed as far for each gear change (and interfere with console's and such).

In the end it will probably be a combination of things - drop the shifter tray anchor an inch or two, lengthen the shifter an inch or so, and shorten the throw a bit..... none of the changes are enough by themselves but taken together they will solve any issues you have with a 4" drop.

If you need anything welded, etc - just mock it up and bring it by.

GD

Typically with a 4", the linkage works out OK without really changing much at all. If you like you can extend the shifter itself up a bit and either make or buy EJ shift components to shorten the throw - thus bringing the shifter back *up* to near it's original posistion and at the same time shortening the throw so the longer shifter doesn't have to be pushed as far for each gear change (and interfere with console's and such).

In the end it will probably be a combination of things - drop the shifter tray anchor an inch or two, lengthen the shifter an inch or so, and shorten the throw a bit..... none of the changes are enough by themselves but taken together they will solve any issues you have with a 4" drop.

If you need anything welded, etc - just mock it up and bring it by.

GD

Thanks GD, Ive been looking at a kart boys short shift kit for it, and have to get my engine parts rounded up so I can dump in the engine/trans in and see what im up against with the trans x member and shift linkage.

I contacted kastleskorner.com about a Kart Boys short shift kit they provide for Legacys, but do not list years covered, so I sent them an inquirey, they in turn contacted scoobymods.com and the answer was "we dont know" but, scooby mods wants pics of my shifter to see if theirs is compatible or not...pretty cool service and a company I want to support, considering I sent my e-mail sunday night:) maybe my ej20g conversion into my L series will have a new short shifter:)