Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat swap questions...

Ok, so I did some searching (which I am normally good at, but seem to always draw a zip here) and didn't find what I was looking for. I know you can do the rear disc conversion, and I have the parts already. Since the parts are similar from the 5 lug set ups, can you swap 5 lugs onto an '84? The only thing I could see as an issue would be the axle splines being different. Anything else that would be different, I could fab.

Secondly, is it possible to remove the 't case' from an XT6 full time LCD trans and bolt up a DR t case?

After 6 years, I finally got the title for my Brat and now I'm comfortable to start modding instead of pummeling... :banana: I have plans, but I'm not going to go hog wild until I get the EJ22+t dropped into the XT GL10. I have everything for that including a Subie AWIC, but the hold up there has been a strong enough clutch which I have located and will order next week. For the Brat, I plan on a 4" lift, ER27 ('cause I have a couple laying around...) and the 5spd LCD DR combo (hopefully). If the 5 lug swap doesn't fly, then the rear disc swap and redrill to 6 lug. The economy being what it is, it's been tough to squirrel away parts and cash for these projects, but I'm close. Ski

So what's the snag with the front? I have a whole XT6 here so parts aren't an issue...
Someone else will need to supply the details, but it boils down to XT6 parts or early Impreza parts. In either case, I believe, is the need to use custom front axles.

Since you are going to lift it anyways you can take the whole front suspension from an EA82 and put it under (will require off-set holes in the blocks) and have an easier time doing the 6lug swap. S'ko did it on his for the 5lug swap as well as power steering if I remember right.

That's a good idea. Especially if putting the d/r t case on the full time LCD tarns from the XT6 will work. Anyone with info on that? Anyone.... Bueller... Bueller... Beuller... :lol:

Subaru D/R systems are not in a "t case" - there is in fact no transfer case at all. The low range is done at the front of the input shaft on the transmission and thus it is impossible to "add" it to a non D/R transmission.

The XT6 FT4WD transmission does NOT have an LSD in it. It has an open front and open center differential. It is not AWD in the modern sense either as it does not have a center VC. It has a lockable center diff instead.

As mentioned by ED - the axles must be custom made in order to do a 5 lug swap on an EA81. That and the lower control arm has to be modified to accept an XT6 or Legacy style ball joint or an adaptor must be manufactured for the knuckle to accept the EA81 ball joint.

GD

Interesting. I did not know the low range was created on the input shaft. Makes sense though. No t-case? The factory manuals and techs would beg to differ. 4wd is accomplished in the section between the main case and the tailshaft. Since it's only function is to transfer power to the rear wheels when engaged, it is by definition a t-case, just not conventional. As for the rest, I stated LCD, NOT LSD and I had surmised the axle issue and edrach confirmed it. I guess I'll just have to tear down a 5spd d/r and my AWD LCD and see what I can do....

Edited by skishop69

Interesting. I did not know the low range was created on the input shaft. Makes sense though. No t-case? The factory manuals and techs would beg to differ. 4wd is accomplished in the section between the main case and the tailshaft. Since it's only function is to transfer power to the rear wheels when engaged, it is by definition a t-case, just not conventional.

A "transfer case" in a 4WD system is responsible for transfering power to the front and rear wheels. It "splits" the power into two directions.

The Subaru rear output only engages or disengages the rear drive. It does not split the power and go both directions as the front wheels are always driven on a part time transaxle.

Really it's a nomeclature thing - it's easier to not use the term "transfer case" with all it's typical design implications and tell folks that Subaru's don't use them - because in the usual sense that is meant by that term they do not. None of the questions that are applicable to a normal 4WD truck transfer case apply to the Subaru transaxle so it's easier to just call it something else.

What you are calling a "transfer case" is nothing more than a de-coupling device for the rear driveshaft. It's a very simple thing.

As for the rest, I stated LCD, NOT LSD and I had surmised the axle issue and edrach confirmed it. I guess I'll just have to tear down a 5spd d/r and my AWD LCD and see what I can do....

Nothing about the internals of those two transmissions is compatible. The D/R main shaft is a two-peice and the XT6 main shaft is not - further there is no ability to install the D/R into a non-DR case and then you have the whole center diff/no center diff issues and the differences in the main shaft that accompany it.

The XT6 transmission is rather like the EA82T RX FT4WD transmission - you want one of those if you want D/R on your XT6.

GD

Yeah, I see what you mean and agree that for the Subie purposes it is easier. Well then, I guess I'm crapped out if I want an LCD with d/r. I guess it really wouldn't make much difference in wheelin' anyways. It was one of those what if thoughts....

Five minutes after this post.... Egads!!! Where was my brain on that one!? The LCD wouldn't affect wheeling at all. Just street driving. Wouldn't really serve any purpose... Sorry, Polish moment.... :-\

Edited by skishop69

Yeah, I see what you mean and agree that for the Subie purposes it is easier. Well then, I guess I'm crapped out if I want an LCD with d/r. I guess it really wouldn't make much difference in wheelin' anyways. It was one of those what if thoughts....

Five minutes after this post.... Egads!!! Where was my brain on that one!? The LCD wouldn't affect wheeling at all. Just street driving. Wouldn't really serve any purpose... Sorry, Polish moment.... :-\

There is a way to do it - you can build the transmission you want using the LCD and front R/P from your XT6, the low range from a 5 speed D/R P/T transmisison and putting those components into a FT4WD RX transmission. That will give you a 3.9 ratio D/R transmission with the 1.59:1 low range and lockable center diff.

It can be done but you need parts from three transmissions and you have to use the case from the RX tranny which you don't have yet......:rolleyes:

GD

So what's the snag with the front? I have a whole XT6 here so parts aren't an issue...

finding a suspension strut/spring setup that doesn't hit inside the bottom of the strut tower....i have budget (used) tein adjustables that have a smaller spring diameter than any suby springs)

brat front balljoint taper is smaller than one needed for a XT6/legacy/imp balljoint...not biggy just needs reamed out to the right size with a balljoint reamer

the steering tie-rod taper interchanges between the brat and the XT6 or legacy knuckles...i had to use XT6 tie rod ends because they have a bigger 'curve' in them for steering clearance at "full lock and full suspension drop" and i still had to space the front wheels out 5mm on each side so they wouldn't touch.

i also had to shorten the tie rods 15mm and extend the thread back the same amount because the XT6 rod ends are longer

machined up front driveshafts to fit legacy DOJ's an out CV's....standard legacy length minus 90mm

i've probably forgotten a couple of things as well