Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Outback coolent in all 4 cylinders

She got it REALLY hot, I guess, and ran it till it wouldn't run anymore. She paid to rent a truck and trailer ($600) to bring it home, and is paying by the mile to borrow a friend's car while her's is in the shop (another $500). Today the shop called and said there is coolant in all 4 cylinders and it looks like things got too hot to risk a re-build. What to do? I assume she already owes the mechanic for tearing it down and probably owes the machine shop too, as I think he sent the heads out...at least to be looked at.

This is a "limited" with leather seats. The interior is good. The outside has a few parking lot scratches and a couple of minor dents in the liftback, but no missing paint or rust anywhere. This is a California car, and the transmission (automatic) was rebuilt on the warrantee right after she bought it. Both front cv's have been replaced in the last 2 years.

Another mechanic says he can put in a rebuilt short block for $2,600. I think she could sell it as is for $1000, and then get an older subie for one or two thousand and start saving up her money for something newer. All this is even more of a bummer since she overpaid for the car at a dealer 3 years ago and just finished paying it off at a high interest rate. I think she gave the dealer close to $14,000 alltogether. It has 160,000 miles on it.

Of course, we are wondering what is the best option. I will be lending her the money, so I'm concerned that we make the best choice. Where do we go from here? I wish we could find a cheap beater so she could get back to work and start saving.

Of course, we are wondering what is the best option. I will be lending her the money, so I'm concerned that we make the best choice. Where do we go from here? I wish we could find a cheap beater so she could get back to work and start saving.

ej22 swap, no question. the engine cost plus labor plus 200$ for the timing belt kit, with seals.

look for a 95 lego 2.2L w/ auto trans.

or a 96 lego w/ auto trans and the y-pipe.

Where do I find a good ej22? How does one determine if it is good? I've read a lot of posts here about how simple the swap is, but the mechanic acts like he's never heard of this swap, which makes me think he's not the guy to be doing it.

Your mechanic prolly does not know about the feasibility and practicality of swapping in a ej22 motor. It is just not public knowledge. Like said earlier, it is an easy swap, with the ej22 being a much better (reliable) motor then the current ej25 that came with the car. For my money, it is the best solution to your problem.

"Mechanics" generally wont do anything other than "stock" work. When my 98 Legacy threw a rod (under warranty) I was asking the Dealer about swapping the transmission out for a 5-speed while they were in there and they said, and I quote, "That is impossible. We cannot do something like that."

2.2L swap is the lowest cost option. I have a similar car and went through the same decision last year. I opted for the most expensive solution (worked for me) but based on what your situation is I would agree that the engine needs to be replaced and a 2.2L swap will likely cost the least. Best to replace the timing belt, Idlers, tensioner, oil seals, reseal oil pump, valve cover gaskets and rear oil separator plate before you put it in and you should be good to go for quite a while.

Show your daughter how to check the oil, coolant and other fluids and tell her how important it is to do this regularly.

Buying a different car can just bring more problems. Sounds like the one she has now has a known history.

You could check http://www.car-part.com for a local 2.2L engine. Perhaps one of the members in CA can chime in with a suggestion as to where to get the engine

Basics.

Your existing engine is junk.

Any used 2.5 would be a crap shoot and you'd need to do HG's, timing belt, idlers, reseal and stuff before installing it. And likely it would have rod knock and the bearings be on their way out.

2.2 is the only way to go in my opinion.

Easy sway. Only real "issues" are Y pipe (possibly need it from the donor car), and usually some vacuum line(mostly dealing w/EVAP stuff) and minor rerouting of valve cover breather hoses. And you'll be missing the PS line bracket - but don't worry about it.

If you'd update your profile to state what part of the country you're in someone may be able to suggest someone who has done this easy swap before.

have to agree - a decent 2.2 is the way to go here - preferably 1990-1996 as they are the non-interference versions and as such wont cost an arm & a leg if a timing belt goes bad down the road. a very reliable, solid motor.

donor can be from a junkyard, just give it the once over with a reseal, new timing components (belt, pulleys, idler, etc) new waterpump and drop it in - good to go for many, many miles.

The best solution is as everyone has said, a 2.2 swap. You will get a good one from a Junk Yard off a car that has been wrecked. That means the engine was running at the time of the accident.

An expensive lesson for you both. Make sure you teach her to constantly search the guages and if the temp is going up to STOP. Heat is an engine killer as you know now. My wife did not have a father to teach her the basics of auto care. I had to take her away from the dealerships ( stealerships) and now that we have been married 21 yrs she calls me and tells me of any noises the car is making. I really appreciate the heads up and that way we can prevent serious issues.

My youngest daughter is beginning to drive now and she is hyper vigilant about car maintainence and any noises the car makes. We built her car together, so she has been involved from the very beginning.

Women cannot rely on men to monitor their cars and today one cannot aford to use the dealership for everything.

Good luck with the repair and I definitely would ressurect that car. With a new engine it will last many more years. Sorry for what you are going thru.

We are in California, up in the foothills above Sacramento near Placerville. I agree, the 2.2 is the way to go and I am searching the internet for one. If any members in my area have any leads or can suggest someone to do the swap, I'd be most grateful. Thank you all for your support.

ej22 swap, no question. the engine cost plus labor plus 200$ for the timing belt kit, with seals.

look for a 95 lego 2.2L w/ auto trans.

or a 96 lego w/ auto trans and the y-pipe.

Agreed.

The 2.2L is bullet-proof.

Both of my Dealership Subaru Mecanics (both with 30+ years with Subaru) swear by this engine.

My Grandmothers 97 Legacy L, which I did not inherit, is still running strong with Zero maintanence. My Slacker cousin never changes the oil and never takes it in for Service. I Swear I'm Stealing this car back one day. It should have been mine in the first place, he can have the sterling silver /rant/ :)