Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 legacy dies, after limping it home

So yesterday, the car wouldnt start put jumper cables on it and fired right up, the battery was 9+ years old, so replaced it and all it well for most of today, I was sitting at red light ac on and, radio starts cutting in and out, so i turned it off thinking it was a short or something, then pull onto highway and it goes fine till about 35 when i tried to increase speed, and the harder i press the gas nothing is happing, then it down shifts and then starts bucking, so i turn off ac, and all comes back to normal, radio also, then decided to go home and turn on blinker, and it wont click or light up and it would basically only idle, so i feathered it home and it made it at about 5mph, once got in drive way, died and, would not start. took battery out and was completely dead. Would and alternator sucking juice make all these problems? Sorry about the long post, just trying to help explain. its got the 2.2l and 185k miles

yup - sounds like you were running on nothing but battery power - meaning your alternator is dead. did you happen to notice any dash lights coming on during all this??? usually a dead giveaway.

the bad news - you will need to replace not just the alternator, but the battery as well - again...

you can try to recharge the battery, but honestly, if it got that drained - well...maybe it would be ok, maybe not.

take the battery out of the car, put it on a charger on the 2amp cycle and let it slow charge if you are going to try that - no quick fixes here.

you can try to get a replacement under the warranty, but it has been my experience that dead alternators void said warranty...

it can be a vicious cycle - dead battery can cause alternator problems - dead alternator causes battery problems...

well did the slow 2 amp test and this morning the full charge indactor was on, so i think its ok, luckly my auto parts store just throws it on tester and if it says bad they replace, but thanks for the reply, will get the alt soon and put it on and hope for the best, i will reply back with results

hopefully it stays good for you. and yeah, get that alternator ASAP!

Good luck!

+1 on replacing the alternator. I am thinking that your new battery will survive. Replacing the alternator is an ez do it yourself project. All bolts, including tension-er bolts/nuts are easy to access. Just part of the beauty of owning a Subaru. Had this been a Honda, it would be a nasty cussing job to replace an alternator.