Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine Swap

subarurage

Would it be possible to put a subaru EJ25D Engine in my 1992 Subaru Loyal manual transmission.

Of course it's possible.

What would I need to change?

Transmission or use adaptor plate with a redrilled EA82 flywheel

Entire EJ25D wireing harness - stripped to just engine control and piggybacked to the EA82 harness.

There will be some modifications needed in order to use the EA gauges such as the temp gauge - the EA sender is different and the coolant cross-over has to be modified to accept the EA sending unit. EJ's don't have oil pressure gauges at all so either that just doesn't work or you have to run a line out from the idiot lamp port to the stock EA sending unit mounted to the fenderwall, etc.

Exhaust - you will need the EJ25D's header and cat sections and probably will have to do custom for the rest since the stock exhaust isn't really large enough.

Radiator and cooling fans will have to change a bit. Some use pusher fans in front of the radiator while other's mount different radiators altogether.....

It's a lot of work. Personally I would use an EJ22. The EJ25D has too many problems with head gaskets and bottom end failures and will be very hard to service in the smaller engine bay of the EA82.

GD