Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Drive axels!!!! Where????

The previous owner of my GL (bratman) got maxdrive axles from NAPA. They work awesome and have a lifetime warranty. So when you blow one up you just take it back and get another one for free!! Especially good if you're lifted. :banana:

hell yeah, I was looking for some with lifetime warranty, not lifted but I have changed that ************ enough times with the old pick a part, part that might blow any minute, I think I'm gonna spring for the new ones.......unless somebody knows about a better brand, or maybe bad experience with a curtain brand, Thanks again yo!

-Nomad

Lots of us have had bad experiences with the chain store axles - NAPA included.

For the last few years I've been running EMPI brand axles (new, not reman, and yes they have a lifetime warantee). There's a local import parts house that I get them at for $65 each. They are availible online from a couple sources. EMPI is a well respected name in VW aftermarket and has been for years. A few years ago they started a drive axle product line and the quality has been excelent with good thick boots, etc. I have a set in my EA81 hatch that's been there for several years now without any problems.

I've been through all the major brands and pretty much they all suck. There is a rebuilder called MWE that some people here like but other than that the consensus is to either get OEM axles from the dealer, get used OEM axles and clean/reboot them from the junk yard, EMPI, or MWE. No other sources of quality parts have been found.

GD

Thanks GD that almost sounds better because I been reading and everybody has something to say about chain part store and the quality they bring, I think I'm going to check into them cuz other axel I looked at where like $75-$90, and they are the brands that you talked about failing, sooo where can I order these bad boys online at? just google them?

Yeah - I would google it and check prices. I know there are vendors on Amazon that sell them, etc. Look through the EMPI online parts catalog and find the part number you need then google that. Should be some places that sell them online at a good price.

First though - call around your area and see if you can find any places that sell EMPI parts and either carry the axle line or are willing to order it. That way you have an accessible store to return them through should you have to use the warantee. It's easier that way. I would only order them online if there was no other choice just because of the warantee claims process, etc.

GD

I got on there web site and look up the part, the only thing is it says its for a FWD car and mine is AWD, are they still compatible? I know the turbo ones have more splines in them but I don't know much about the FWD.....more help? lol

sorry for the ignorance by the way...

and thanks again for the tips, where are you located at, if you don't mind?

-Nomad

I'm in Portland, OR.

The FWD is meaningless for your purposes - the only difference on EA axles is the 23/25 spline inner joint difference between NA and Turbo axles.

Just make sure you order whichever axle it shows for a non-turbo application (23 spline). Ignore the FWD thing as they fit the same.

GD

cool, the part number is 80-5504 for empi axles for reference to anybody else reading this, thanks for the knowledge GD, I use to live in Albany, Or but have recently moved to Boise, Idaho. I see couple loyales but the owners are older people or white trash who could only afford a cheap wagon (no disrespect loyale) but my point is I can't find any subaru gear heads around here, sooo thanks for the help!!

They wanted over a buck for them and they would be in the next day, I was lookin into the EMPI brand but I can't find a carrier of it...

GD- If you can get them that cheap in your area, how much do you think shipping would be, every place I called here was over $100 and where no name chain brand stores......portland to boise isn't to far, maybe I could order them from the parts house?

-Nomad

They might - they have a web site but have never got it setup for online ordering - I'll bet they can ship them to you. Call and tell them what you want but be sure to INSIST that you only want the EMPI branded axles. They carry another line that they "fill in" with while the EMPI's are on order, etc. I don't like that brand near as much despite them telling me it's the same..... my inspection showed otherwise so don't let them tell you that.

http://www.discountimportparts.com/index.html

GD

These guys have them for $78 and free shipping:

http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/subarugl19851989empiw0133-1618933589629.html?prodSlot=Product+Listings+Page%3A5

$73 + $7.50 shipping here:

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1988/subaru/gl/driveshaft_-ar-_axle/axle_assembly.html

Discount Import Parts will likely quote you $69. I have an account with them that I deal through so my cost is $65. It's not a big difference on those since it's a relatively low priced item.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I spoke to soon about maxdrive being good .... I had another one blow on me today. Threw all it's grease out and is starting to click up a storm. I'll probably get another napa one as a spare, it's free so why not. But replace it with one of the empi ones.

yeah I just found parts geek.com seemed like the best bet, I didn't try your part house yet but that is next. Thanks a bunch!!!!

-Nomad

I also have problems with the wheels bearing around here, I can't find anybody that can press them in or whatever, I always have to buy hubs from a jy, any tips on that?

I spoke to soon about maxdrive being good .... I had another one blow on me today. Threw all it's grease out and is starting to click up a storm. I'll probably get another napa one as a spare, it's free so why not. But replace it with one of the empi ones.

:eek:thats nutts!! I'm thinking EMPI for sure now.....:eek:

:eek:thats nutts!! I'm thinking EMPI for sure now.....:eek:

Keep in mind my car is lifted about as much as you can push the axles and with bigger wheels. And I abuse them. I think what's happening is it's to much flex for the boots so they're tearing. GD said the empi ones have thicker rubber so they might last longer.

GD, since you have experience with these axles. How's their return policy? Since I beat on mine I'm gonna be replacing them. So before I go one I'd want to know if they're easy to have replaced.

I can only speak to the policy's of the retailer that I purchase my axles through (www.discountimportparts.com). Thus far I haven't had any trouble - I had a non-EMPI branded axle (their other brand that I don't like) that was making noises and they replaced it no questions asked (with my receipt). I also had a boot failure (1/2" gash) on the replacement of that same axle and while they did not cover the boot, they did give me the boot kit for $6 instead of the normal $12 which was a nice gesture I thought considering that the axle was only a few months old at the time.

From what I understand - if the boot is torn and not addressed promptly then the warantee is void - but they don't cover the boot itself..... I don't like this policy but I can see why it would be the case as they can't very well warantee soft rubber parts that can be damaged easily by mis-handling and road debris.

Technically, I know if you tell them you are racing or off-roading with them the warantee is void. But as long as you don't do that I've had them tell me that customer's occasionally bring in axles that are just a baggy of parts and they still warantee them. I imagine if you did it a lot they would probably figure something is going on. :rolleyes:

GD

I also have problems with the wheels bearing around here, I can't find anybody that can press them in or whatever, I always have to buy hubs from a jy, any tips on that?

Wheel bearings are easy - you don't need a press for them. Just go to any bearing house and pickup the bearings - you want 6207-2RS-C3 - 2 per side. Drift the old one's out with a brass punch and install the new one's with a large socket or a punch - just make sure you only pound on the outer race at all times.

GD

ok sounds pretty easy, I had a camero before the subaru, an did a wheel bearing job on that and it was so simple, similar to a skateboard, just popped out and in by hand, then I got a subaru and its a different ball park, I think I'm going to order bearings with the axles, I super stoked to be riding new stuff after so many bad experiences with the used junkyard stuff.

just checked out "how to keep your subaru alive" today, pretty sweet book for idiots like me, kinda more about carburetor cars.

-Nomad

Edited by Nomad_Brad

• 5 weeks later...
Wheel bearings are easy - you don't need a press for them. Just go to any bearing house and pickup the bearings - you want 6207-2RS-C3 - 2 per side. Drift the old one's out with a brass punch and install the new one's with a large socket or a punch - just make sure you only pound on the outer race at all times.

GD

Found some cheap ones under "6207-2rs-c3" bu they had a "BG" for blue giant, which I guess is a part for a fork lift, is the bearing still going to work, or should I find a curtin brand....

-Nomad