Ultimate Subaru Message Board

94 Legacy ti and 95 Legacy Wagon

Both models for sale right now, and I'm looking for a good reliable Montana car because my 83 Toyota just won't be reliable no matter what I do :grin:

Are there any big things to look out for on these cars? Any reason to avoid these years or models all together? I checked the FAQ but without a ton of searching I don't see much on this stuff specifically. Thanks!

I had an 87 a few years back but sold it for the Toyota. Love the Toyota, but wish I had kept the GL as a backup. Now I want something that can reliably get me out of town.

The 94 ti wagon has 125K, new clutch & water pump. 95 has 163K.

The '94 is the better machine. Lots of cheapness went into the post-'94 models. Little things like plastic door handles instead of metal, plastic AC tensioner nut, cheaper interior and seat construction, and a myriad of other little things. The '94 was the last year for the non cost-cut Legacy.

And the Ti is a special edition car. Lower mileage doesn't hurt either.

I would go with the '94 every day and twice on Sunday's.

To find a Ti wagon with mileage like that - that's a ROCKIN deal and I would probably be hard pressed to not buy that myself and daily drive it. You just can't beat the '90 to '94 Legacy with a 5 speed. A great car and decently fun to drive with the special edition package and the 5 speed. Should have the premium sound system, etc.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

94 has plastics in the cargo, much sturdier

95 has cardboard in the cargo much flimsy like a cerereal box with felt over it.

HVAC controls on the 94 are better laid out. Auto seatbelts, I like them, can never get a ticket if you use them the way they were designed.

Edited by bheinen74

I tend to agree with what GD said, even though I love my '95!

Both have the "bulletproof" EJ22. '94 is OBD-1 and '95 is OBD-2, if that makes any difference to you.

Only way to decide is to go check 'em out. Compare price, condition, appearance, driveability, history (to whatever degree you can determine it!)

On the surface at least it sounds like a couple of good choices. Good luck.

Great, thanks. So the TI suspension thing (air lift suspension option) isn't a money sink? Just curious if it's more of a problem than it's worth. Also curious about the new clutch with such low mileage.

The 94 is a 3-hour drive, 95's a 1 1/2 hour drive...but it sounds like it might be worth the drive to check them both out.

Thanks again!

Edited by MTSuby

Does the Ti have the air suspension? If so, and it still works (or hasn't already been replaced with standard gear), then just leave it be for now. If it's failed then you can easily and cheaply replace the shocks/struts all the way around for very reasonable money. You could even go with '96 Outback struts/springs and get a bit of suspension lift out of the deal.

If it's not air-ride then I don't know what you are refering to since it has basically the same suspension as any other '90 to '94 wagon - possibly with upgraded sway bars.

Clutch's are very dependant on the type of driver and the type of driving. 125k in-town is a LOT for a clutch. Not abnormal at all. I've seen plenty go farther but 125k is not at all unreasonable - that's right in line with what I would expect for an average that's split between some freeway and some city. At that mileage a new clutch is a GOOD thing not a bad thing to worry about. That's a nice feature that's going to save you money.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Good questions about the Ti. At that age the air suspension could be problematic. I believe a lot of people have simply replaced it with normal suspension--can be done but is more work and expense to you.

I always told my kids, when you're buying a used car spend as much time sizing up the seller as you do the car. And yes, that comes from experience (not all good!)

Anyway, good luck and keep us informed.

Ok great, sounds like it's nothing to be concerned with necessarily. Yes, it does have the air suspension. I'm having a little trouble researching the package, so I didn't realize till just a bit ago that Ti doesn't necessarily mean air-lift suspension. This one does have the air-lift though.

Legacy Ti Outdoor Wagon Legacy L All-Wheel-Drive with value Option Group #2

plus:

wheel covers

adjustable air suspension,

body color front grill,

mud flaps,

woven cloth interior (instead of plush),

under passenger seat storage tray,

rubber cargo mat,

rear cargo net

luggage rack with Bike attachement,

rear stabilzer bar,

engine skidplate

Yellow "Subaru" lettering with pine trees exterior graphics

this one is nicely optioned.....

Did you look at cars101 in the archives?

Don't see that...sorry I tried browsing the archives and searching and I don't see it.

I'm not sure that I'll make it to see the 94 before it sells. It's just too far. There's also a 93 Loyale with 138,000 an hour away...

Alright, thanks. I'm trying to get the 94, it's just hard since it's a 3 to 3 1/2 hour drive one way...finding someone to possibly take me there & back in one day isn't easy. It's even hard for me to justify since it's not even a sure thing that I'll buy it...that's a long trip. But I'm trying to get over there.