Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4 check engine codes - which to address first?

2000 Forester automatic 148,000 miles. Cleared the codes and they came back. Has a new front Oxygen sensor, Bosch.

P0463 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High

P0325 Knock Sensor

P1100 MAF Sensor Intermittent

P1133 HO2S insufficient Switching Sensor 1

I'm familiar with the knock sensor issues on EJ's.

car runs fine, i don't notice any issues at all. codes came back fairly quickly too.

i'd rather not throw parts at it, knock sensor seems most reasonable since they're known maintenance items.

I think my first move would be to replace the knock sensor and if the code for it is still there (should clear immediately) then return the sensor and get on with the wireing diagnostics :rolleyes:. That is the quickest way to narrow down what you are dealing with.

GD

Usually you look for a common denominator since mulitple codes can be a daisy chain.

Did you use a Subaru O2 sensor?

replace the knock sensor

Fuel level sensor high is either shorted or open (i forget which) this is easy to test, just test the sensors out of the car so they can be inspected.

Lets see what happens after that.

hmm, grounds, in the engine bay i presume?

i'm going to clear the codes and check the light as soon as it comes back to see if maybe one comes back "first" before the others. i burnt my OBDII scanner today pulling it out of the socket while the car was running. el-cheapo ebay model with no fuse. i'll buy two this time! :lol: or maybe one good one, one cheap one.

2000 Forester automatic 148,000 miles. Cleared the codes and they came back. Has a new front Oxygen sensor, Bosch.

You could look around generally for bad ground connections, as suggested. However, if that doesn't resolve things...

P0463 could be due to either fuel level sensor being bad (the main and sub are in series) or a faulty connection. The ground goes through one of the big multi-pin connectors at the rear of the engine, passenger side.

For P0325 the knock sensor itself is probably the most likely cause.

P1100 MAF Sensor Intermittent

P1133 HO2S insufficient Switching Sensor 1

Gary, those P1100 & P1133 code definitions don't seem to be correct for Subaru.

Codes in the P1xxx range are manufacturer-specific.

I show:

P1100 Starter Switch Circuit Malfunction

P1133 Front oxygen (A/F) sensor heater circuit high input

Typically a P1133 indicates a shorted O2 sensor heater, either internal or due to wire insulation melted at the exhaust. If the new Bosch sensor wiring is okay, then its heater might be drawing more current than the OEM spec allows for.

• 4 weeks later...

except for knock sensor none of the codes have come back. car was overheating when these codes were appearing so maybe that had something to do with it? i replaced the knock sensor, which isn't surprising as i've replaced a ton of those, very common. but none of the others have come back since it's ran at normal operating temps.

could these have been heat related?

car had sat for some period of time before i got it too.

is there a master list of Subaru codes i could save to my computer? i guess the codes that came with this scanner are incorrect?