Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm not certain, but I believe that the factory keyless was an option for that block of years. I don't think it became standard equipment until MY01. Not 100% on that.

Subaru uses and add-on module for its keyless entry system. IF yours doesn't have it, then you could certainly get one out of a wrecking yard for pretty cheap. Around here, such things tend to go for between $20 and $50. INstall is pretty straightforward. Attach the block connectors, screw it down. Problem solved. If the yard doesn't have the remotes, they can generally be ordered from Subaru, but they're pricey.

Aftermarket systems start off around $70 or so and climb from there. INstall is a bit harder because you can't use the really nice block connectors to wire it.

Grab the unit from the salvage yard. Should be under the driver's side of the dash. You already have the plugs in your factory wiring harness for it to plug into. Buy a new fob off eBay and follow the instructions for programing it to work.

• 2 months later...

So.... My 98 leg GT Just so happens to have a factory security "computer" or whatever under the dash. My friend bought an impreza RS that came with aftermarket remote start and alarm. The guy also gave him the factory keyfob and "computer". It's identical to what I have under my dash. So would it be easier to program the remote or just switch the computer thingy?