Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New weber

picked up a weber today off of a datsun for 80 bucks today. I tore it apart to check out the jets. Heres what I found.

mains: 140/140

Air correctors: 160/170

Idle: 50/60

I figure this is perfect for my EA82.

Now I need to install it, which I have no clue how to do, It looks fairly straight forward, I only see one vacuum hose connection on the weber, So i figure ill have to take off a ton of them from the car. Im buying the redline adapter tomorrow, and anything else I need to buy or take care of? Also is there an idiots guide to installation? Ive searched through the 6 year old weber threads and alot of the links dont work anymore:lol:

IMG_0534.jpg

thanks, Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

So I got around to starting to install my weber. (the redline kit came the other day). I took off the old hitachi, and did a dry fit of the weber and the adapter. I came across a problem. The choke hits the power steering pump. Being in the cold northwest, I need the choke, so whats the fix to this?

-Jeff

Thanks! I did that and it fits now, I hooked up the fuel line, and the other two, breather and furl return line i presume, I just left sitting for now. I went to start it to see where I was, and it wont start. :mad: I think its fuel, so I took the fuel line off and turned the motor over to see if i caught any gas in my catch can. Nothing was in the can, so I dont think Im getting any fuel. but why?

Ok, so i stepped away from the car, and took a break. came back and decided to check fuel pump fuse. Turns out I blew it. Soooo I replaced it, and now got it started :banana:. I have two big vacuum hoses, They went to the original airbox, and both go to either side of the motor, So I just plugged them for now. It seems like I got most of the vacuum hoses plugged, I still need to run a hose from the vacuum advance port on the weber to the disty, but right now there is one connected from the manifold to the disty, where it was with the old hitachi, should I leave it or change it?

Mainly, I am struggling with the tuning. I have to have the throttle completely open to get it to start, and when it does start it puffs black smoke. Its running wayyyyy rich! It does run on its own, doesnt idle right yet, but i havent messed too much with it yet. I was reading some older posts, and wondering if I should run a fuel return line, does it just go on the opposite bung as the fuel inlet? Anything else I should do to hopefully make it run better, I know its jetted right, its 140/140 mains 160/170 correctors and 50/60 idle. any help would be appreciated! :)

The "big" vacuum lines that you plugged are crankcase breather lines and need to be connected to the air filter. You need to fix all the breather and PCV routing before you blow seals out of the engine. Some of your smoking might be caused by excessive crankcase pressure.

Otherwise the jetting is wrong or the carb improperly assembled. Jetting sounds good so perhaps the fuel pressure is excessive or the float set too high, etc.

GD

so we got her running. but we got another problem. when I shut it off, it gurgles, and i smell gas. So I looked into the barrels, and gas was pooling on the butterfly valves in the bottom of the barrels. It did this for like 5 minutes, and quite abit of gas poured into the manifold, since it flooded and had trouble starting when I went to start it. whats causing this? We think it might be a sticky float valve. any ideas?

Higher than normal fuel pressure, bad needle valve/seat, sunken float, etc. Could definitely be why you were running so rich.

I recently had a similar issue with a Quadrajet on my truck. Turned out that rust and scale from the fuel tank had clogged up some pressure regulating valves inside the mechanical fuel pump and was causeing it to put out like 20+ psi instead of 4 psi. :rolleyes:. This had the effect of causing gas to come from every orifice (it was dripping out the throttle shafts :eek:) and when it did run it was crazy rich with a ton of black smoke. Installed a pressure regulator and a whole bunch of filters before and after the pump - no trouble now :).

Check your fuel pressure - should be about 2.5 to 3.5 psi. Could be that someone replaced the pump with the wrong one, etc. Wouldn't be the first time.

GD