Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another spfi Conversion Question..Fuel Pump

The SPFI cars had no serviceable filter before the pump. I'm sure there is a sock on the pickup in the tank but that is all.

They are rotary vane pumps and as such they tollerate a good deal of small debris without much trouble. Thus the mounting of the *real* fuel filter in the engine bay on all FI Subaru's.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

if you look carefully at the SPFI and MPFI pumps, there is a small cone shaped screen that sits in the inlet. It's possible and advisable to carefully pry that thing out and clean it.

Reinstall before installing the pump, but otherwise......no prefilter needed.

I'm looking to get a spfi 87 Gl Wagon for a parts car, I drive a 1990 Mpfi Loyale, Is it still a good idea to get this car? I know the auto tranny is cooked but other then that it should be similar parts correct? As long as its not a turbo? for I need drive axles and such....

-Nomad

I'm looking to get a spfi 87 Gl Wagon for a parts car, I drive a 1990 Mpfi Loyale, Is it still a good idea to get this car? I know the auto tranny is cooked but other then that it should be similar parts correct? As long as its not a turbo? for I need drive axles and such....

-Nomad

If your loyale isn't a turbo, it is SPFI. Only turbo Loyales were MPFI.

The 87 SPFI parts will all work with your car, though you'll have to swap a few connectors for some parts.

and the 87 will be a ea-82 right?

If it is a FWD car it will be an SPFI, EA82. Careful though, cause if it's 4wd....it will be carbed.

either way, axles, seats, tailights....all interchange as most other stuff will.

The notable diffeerneces in the 87 SPFI are the main engine to harness connectors are different shape. Also the disty connector is different, but can be easily repinned to match the 90 ECU and harness. Other than that IIRC it's all the same.

if it's carbed basically nothing of the fuel system or engine electronics will transfer over.

Longblock interchagnes easily(basically identical)

WOW, So then in my case, wanting a parts car, want the FWD so that it is not carbed for mine is not???

-Nomad

If it is a FWD car it will be an SPFI, EA82. Careful though, cause if it's 4wd....it will be carbed.

either way, axles, seats, tailights....all interchange as most other stuff will.

The notable diffeerneces in the 87 SPFI are the main engine to harness connectors are different shape. Also the disty connector is different, but can be easily repinned to match the 90 ECU and harness. Other than that IIRC it's all the same.

if it's carbed basically nothing of the fuel system or engine electronics will transfer over.

Longblock interchagnes easily(basically identical)