Ultimate Subaru Message Board

BRAT with a "Sport" package

I have already asked a few of you in person, but I haven't asked the whole

body of Subaru nuts.

Has anyone ever heard of a Sport package being offered on the BRAT?

Any years, any trim class, any dealerships?

I have searched the interwebs trying to find anything, and I have yet to come

up with anything conclusive.

I have noticed between driving other EA81's that the BRAT does seem to

have more power, but I have yet to do a side by side comparison.

So if anybody wants to pit their BRAT against mine in a 1/4 mile run, bring it

on! :-p

Anyway, please help me out on this, I really want to know if this stupid thing

is a rarity (more than the typical BRAT anyway)

So my Year, Make, Model, Trim, Subtrim is:

1985 Subaru BRAT GL Sport

Thanks in advance

Twitch

Has anyone ever heard of a Sport package being offered on the BRAT?

83/84 they offered them with the EA81T engine's. Sadly only with Automatic's though. But still 95 HP instead of the stock 74.

I have noticed between driving other EA81's that the BRAT does seem to

have more power, but I have yet to do a side by side comparison.

So if anybody wants to pit their BRAT against mine in a 1/4 mile run, bring it

on! :-p

It's purely weight. Other EA81's are typically heavier - the closest to the Brat being the Hatch.

So my Year, Make, Model, Trim, Subtrim is:

1985 Subaru BRAT GL Sport

Where does this information come from?

The interpretation of "sport" could be anything. Probably refers to the decal package :rolleyes:.

As far as drivetrain and suspension though - a Brat is a Brat unless it's a turbo. There were never any official upgrades as far as I know. At least I've never heard of such a thing and it's closing on a decade that I've owned them now.

GD

83/84 they offered them with the EA81T engine's. Sadly only with Automatic's though. But still 95 HP instead of the stock 74.

I've known about the BRAT turbo's for a long time.

I know this is definitely different.

And I'm pretty sure they were referred to as "BRAT turbos" when they were

introduced.

It's purely weight. Other EA81's are typically heavier - the closest to the Brat being the Hatch.

I figured this was the circumstance.

And I have yet to drive any other BRAT's that were properly tuned.

Where does this information come from?

The interpretation of "sport" could be anything. Probably refers to the decal package :rolleyes:.

As far as drivetrain and suspension though - a Brat is a Brat unless it's a turbo. There were never any official upgrades as far as I know. At least I've never heard of such a thing and it's closing on a decade that I've owned them now.

GD

The trim designation comes from the typical designation by manufacturers and aftermarket companies.

I was thinking it may have been just a decal package, or maybe a dealer "package", such as the "star edition" RX's.

The build date is 04/85, so the chances of leftover BRAT Turbo parts being

used on it are rather low.

Thanks for the help so far.

Twitch

Weren't there rumors years ago of the brat having a slightly different cam? I dont remember if we found it to be true or false or never looked into it :-\

I know that my Brat goes a lot better than most of the other old Subarus I've had. And it doesn't have an original BRAT motor in it. I have always thought it was because of the light weight, I mean, I can lift the rump roast end of my BRAT by myself, must be pretty light

I know that my Brat goes a lot better than most of the other old Subarus I've had. And it doesn't have an original BRAT motor in it. I have always thought it was because of the light weight, I mean, I can lift the rump roast end of my BRAT by myself, must be pretty light

Do you have the big or small valve heads? Because I was pulling on you up that hill, and that was when I had the very corroded disty cap and rotor.

Do you have the big or small valve heads? Because I was pulling on you up that hill, and that was when I had the very corroded disty cap and rotor.

Actually not sure. Yes you were pulling on me, but you had a much better run and actually started in the right gear. I failed at climbing that hill:lol:

Also, mine has bigger tires and wheels!!

Edited by bratman18

My Brat came From Four Corners Ranch In AZ where they had bought 14 brats for hunting use in the fall 1981 (or that was the story I got in 2001 when I bought mine And my dad got his off ebay When they sold them all and replaced them with jeeps) they were all special ordered the same from a dealer in AZ. they were all solid top had roll bars and push bars (the type that just bolted to the frount bumper) they were also white with blue brat stripes and said sport on the stripe on the side of the bed and the were badged as GLs with full gauge clusters and 4spd s/r trannys, with carter weber carbs and center lamps

I've ask similar questions here in the past actually a very long time a go in 2001 when I went by 84turbowagon but nobody had heard of a sport brat and I asked again a couple months ago about a soild top 82 GL brat being rare or odd when I posted pics of my Brat since after nine years of work its almost ready for paint (lots of dents but on rust)

Oh I still have the widow stickers and it just made it to 18k When I bought it 7k is all it had on it and the engine was shot both head gaskets were blown and was over heated to the point the one of the rod bearings had spun and the sleeves had turned in the block where the wrist pins could not be removed

I'll try to find some old pics before I started on the body work and scraped off all the vinyl brat stripes that had the sport logo cut in them

But if you ask me I think the sport package was seats with head rests a center arm rest and a sticker Because mine not having fun tops And the others they had being the same I think the ranch ordered GL brats without the ttops for some reason and the sport logo was added at the dealer along with the push and roll bars

Edited by 84gl

Here's an early pic of my BRAT.

picture.php?albumid=168&pictureid=1539

I've got a couple more with the topper on, but it has pinstripes following the same line that the BRAT stickers would.

0722101116a.jpg

\You can kinda see the sport logo near the back of the bed in this ^^^ pic.

0722101114.jpg

As you can see, I do have the T-Tops.

So if those rumors of some BRAT's having different cams are true, then maybe

I'm one of the lucky ones?

When I rebuild the engine, I'll bring the cam to somebody who knows these

engines really well, maybe Ken over at Delta?

Twitch

mine Had the same pen striping as yours but with the brat taga And it was the same color too but mine is an 1982

What dealership was yours from?

I could probably do a carfax or something on mine and see where it originated.

If they came from the same dealership then they might've been part of a promo

for that particular dealership.

Also, mine has an aftermarket, maybe dealer, vinyl that just says "SUBARU" on

the driver's side, top of the tailgate.

Sorry, no pix, but its just a plain black vinyl in a generic font.

Twitch

Mine is from Tucson AZ Jim Click Ford/Subaru 6420 East 22snd st.

But Like i said mine was one of 14 four Corners Ranch bought New In the fall of 1981 I was told they were all special ordered for the ranch use as hunting vehicles that you could rent along with your hunting trip (which were sold on ebay in 2001 when they replaced them with new jeeps) but thats just what I was told what I do know is mine was never tagged for road use and I am the 2snd owner

For all we know yours could have came from the same dealer