Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trying to replace the timing belt on a 91 Legacy. Having a problem with the crankshaft pulley. The inner portion is spinning as I try to break the bolt free. Yes I am using a chain clamp on the pulley. Any Ideas would be helpful. Timing belt broke while my daughter was driving on I-5.

Jamb something into the "window" where the engine meets the trans. Near the center but on the passenger side. The black plug may be in place.

Search a little. Someone had this exact same question the last week or so and someone posted a pic from "beergarage".

You'll be needing a new pulley/harmonic balancer.

You can also put a 1/2" breaker bar on the socket and rest the handle down right in fron of the battery on top of the frame rail. Make sure it's firm against the rail and the socket is on well.

Hit the starter for a second or two, and the bolt will break free.

Note: You can have nasty things happen if the breaker bar is on the wrong side of the car.

You can also put a 1/2" breaker bar on the socket and rest the handle down right in fron of the battery on top of the frame rail. Make sure it's firm against the rail and the socket is on well.

Hit the starter for a second or two, and the bolt will break free.

Note: You can have nasty things happen if the breaker bar is on the wrong side of the car.

I have used this method.

Just make sure you're breaker bar will reach by the battery box WITHOUT a cheater bar. I have a snap-on breaker bar that just makes it by about 1/4 inch and it's what I use. Adding a cheater to a shorter bar wouild make it even more dangerous.

If by some chance it sheared the key when the timing belt broke that might explain why as you say the inner part is slipping even though you have a chain wrench on the pulley. In that case the starter bump method or jamming something in the flywheel should hold the crank so you can get the crank bolt lose. I always find jamming something in the flywheel to be the easiest method on the auto trans. Because you also need some way to hold the crank while you tighten the bolt during reinstallation too, and you don't want that bolt backing out on you later.