Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Opinions on 4EAT vs 5MT, whose driven both?

Whenever you see the word "Duty Solenoid" it mean that is cycles on and off many times a minute. They are not designed to be constantly powered. Now some people have not had any issues, but let the buyer beware.

This is gonna be my last post about this in this thread - so we don't clutter it up. But my thought on it is, lets say I got this AWD Legacy stuck in deep deep snow or on a slippery mud hill or something where the AWD just can't adjust to it. I would turn the switch on to get out/unstuck then turn it off. That would only be the times I'd use it.

But really, its gonna take pretty much to get this thing stuck with 27" grabbers and the amount of torque the EJ puts out (145 ft.lbs)

Thats just my take on it.

Sorry for chatting up your thread Mark.

-Tom

Whenever you see the word "Duty Solenoid" it mean that is cycles on and off many times a minute. They are not designed to be constantly powered. Now some people have not had any issues, but let the buyer beware.

Constanly powering the C solenoid would fully unlock the transfer clutch pack, making it Front wheel drive.

Cutting the power to the C lets the spool valve move over and apply full hydraulic pressure to the transfer clutch pack, making it locked into 4wd.

You need to put in a resistor pack to shunt the driver signal from the TCU to when you disconnect the solenoid or the TCU will throw a code for a failed solenoid.

There's 0 electrical risk if you do it right, even if you leave it in 4wd all the time.

It's leaving it in Front wd all the time that burns up the solenoid.

My wife and I both have 95 legacy wagons. Hers is an auto, mine's a manual. We stick to the roads, but here's my two cents. The auto is geared a bit taller, so on the interstate it runs a lower RPMs. However, I cross Afton mountain on I64 every day, and the manual does much better. It has enough torque to fly up in 5th gear, but the auto has to downshift to maintain speed. Around town, the auto feels pretty quick, but the shorter gearing makes the manual quicker on the interstate.

Also, my understanding is that the power distribution is different - 50/50 default with the manual, 80/20 default with the auto. I suppose that could be a factor off road as well.

My wife and I both have 95 legacy wagons. Hers is an auto, mine's a manual. We stick to the roads, but here's my two cents. The auto is geared a bit taller, so on the interstate it runs a lower RPMs. However, I cross Afton mountain on I64 every day, and the manual does much better. It has enough torque to fly up in 5th gear, but the auto has to downshift to maintain speed. Around town, the auto feels pretty quick, but the shorter gearing makes the manual quicker on the interstate.

Also, my understanding is that the power distribution is different - 50/50 default with the manual, 80/20 default with the auto. I suppose that could be a factor off road as well.

The auto is geared taller because the torque converter multiplies the torque at a 2.5 ratio, thats how torque converters work.

the manual is a 50/50 split, where the automatic is a 10/90 variable to 50/50. That means you can 25/75 30/70or anything inbetween.

The 2.5 is better at climbing then the 2.2 4eat. I drive in D3 if there are a lot of hills to keep the car from hunting for a gear (stupid subaru tcu program).

For towing, never use 5th gear or D4 as that stresses the engine too much.

Hey Nip,

I'm a mostly city/pavement driver (this rig is my daily driver, and now the baby mobile), with FS/maintained dirt roads (when i go to the mts, for hiking, skiing (given appropriate season) , backpacking, access to fun places and things, etc., snow (in season) and some trail stuff, cuz, well, I do live in Moab. . . .

Also, we recently got a camper/tenet trailer (to compliment our first baby, now 6 months old), so there'll be some towing regionally with setting up in campgrounds but more use off pavement in forest and BLM settings...

Let me ask the first question.

What kind of driving do you do and what type do you plan on doing?

Hey, thanks for all the feedback!!

WOW!! what a PITA, for a guy like me...

Yeah, it sounds like a LOT more than I want to or am comfortable getting into for pulling a camper, and some more trail access... I did practically burn out a 1-year old clutch in 5 minutes though, ALREADY, just trying to position the thing uphill in gravel beside our carport, when I had NO problems with our old (now gone) 4EAT 1.8 impreza. :(

Thus the inquiry to switching over to auto.

I'm not interested in or have the space for a donor car lying around, nor (with a new baby) do I have the time, interest, patience or really the tools to do such a job in my "free time" these days :grin:

But, this IS validation which further substantiates my interest in getting an aussie D/R AWD manual!! :banana::banana::banana:

That's been my REAL goal now for a few years, and the auto was like a short-cut and cheaper way to be able to tow better and do some harder wheeling or steeper grades.

SO, in short, methinks you all helped further my cause and further justify the D/R AWD hunt..:rolleyes:

THANKS!!

Hey Nip,

I'm a mostly city/pavement driver (this rig is my daily driver, and now the baby mobile), with FS/maintained dirt roads (when i go to the mts, for hiking, skiing (given appropriate season) , backpacking, access to fun places and things, etc., snow (in season) and some trail stuff, cuz, well, I do live in Moab. . . .

Also, we recently got a camper/tenet trailer (to compliment our first baby, now 6 months old), so there'll be some towing regionally with setting up in campgrounds but more use off pavement in forest and BLM settings...

then an auto it is.

If you are going through the trouble of a transmission swap, why not put in a 5MT dual range... I kind of like that in my Impreza (transmission out of a '87 GL). If you are running the 3.9 rear diff, it's not too bad... custom axles and the EJ-EA adaptor plate, and a custom driveshaft, but compared to making the 4EAT behave and all the new wiring... I think it's easier at least. And, I hate automatic transmissions (though, I admit the 4EAT is the nicest auto I've driven and isn't really that annoying...)

If you are going through the trouble of a transmission swap, why not put in a 5MT dual range... I kind of like that in my Impreza (transmission out of a '87 GL). If you are running the 3.9 rear diff, it's not too bad... custom axles and the EJ-EA adaptor plate, and a custom driveshaft, but compared to making the 4EAT behave and all the new wiring... I think it's easier at least. And, I hate automatic transmissions (though, I admit the 4EAT is the nicest auto I've driven and isn't really that annoying...)

zyewdall,

Believe you me, I've been toying with that for like 5 1/2 years!!!! But with 27" tires i now need shorter gearing, like 4.11, maybe 4.44. . . the 3.90 makes it a little, er, a LOT sluggish with the taller heavier tires..

But you're right about ease and most bang for the buck if a tranny swap is in order, particularly when "off road" is mentioned :)

I think an EA-swapped 4x4 into an impreza is the IDEAL rig!!! Light like the old GLs but a higher output motor with gen 2 rigs, PLUS rear gearing and REAL 4x4.

I really like the FT AWD when compared to FWD for daily driving and especially when snow and conditions dictate...

I'm actually looking into swapping into a DR AWD from australia.. To keep FT AWD and gain a low gear. It's the other best of both worlds. :banana:

In my 91 legacy i had a FWD in combination with the 4EAT, when wet i had to be easy on the pedal. Often wheel spin but what i really liked was the way to drive it. The gear of choice could be directed with the kick and position of the right foot. I also manged to drive very economical with it, just get it in locked mode. We used it a lot for pulling and driving in the Alps (brilliant roads in Swiss).

Now i have a AWD dual range 5MT with a 1.6 The engine is a bit light i think for the weigth of the car but it drives ok. DR is very nice in off-road and in trafic jams although the clutch is the part which has to cope with that. Somehow i love the lock-up torque converter.

Last week i pulled a 1.5 ton trailer using the low gears for getting away with no problems (1.5 ton is more than the car is). But it is more fuel efficient than the 4EAT.