Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CV joint sizes

So I went to put a front outer CV boot on a reman shaft. I ordered the correct boot from Subaru and it didn't fit, it was too big on the CV joint side; I double checked the part number. My car is turbo w/ 4EAT and I counted 25 splines on the tranny side.

I'm thinking that my reman shaft has a correct CV joint on the inside and a non-turbo CV on the outside. Is this possible? The new CV boot looked like it fit an 85mm OD on the CV joint and my outer joint was about 78mm.

Did the 25 spline axles have a physically larger outside CV?

Unfortunately..... anything and everything you can imagine is possible with reman or non NTN (Subaru OEM) axles. :rolleyes:

It's likely that you have a 2WD turbo axle or something like that. Joint and shaft sizes are different among models and across years as well - overall length changes slightly..... etc, etc, etc. Basically if you want to replace a boot and it's not a Subaru OEM axle you have to take the axle in and check out all the options on the shelf to find one for sure.

GD

Okay, thanks. It seems I have a correct DOJ as that boot fit fine. The axle has two bumps, indicating length I think, and I it looks like it should have three. Unfortunately nobody here (in this city of 170,000) stocks specific CV joint boots. They just sell axles or "universal" boots, which I looked at, and they suck.

Maybe I'll try to buy just an outer joint so I have the correct one. EMPI sells one, the 87-9901. Anyone know of a good supplier for EMPI joints?