Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'02 OBW. Recently discovered one of my rear end links had broken apart. I'm trying to figure out what the best replacement/upgrade route is and wanted to see what folks thought. Pretty positive that in the next month or so I'll pickup a new rear (maybe front too) sway bar from Rallitek or Whiteline.

I can't quite justify spending 100+ for new Whiteline links. So I'm wondering if it would worth it to go with the MOOG aftermarket OE-style end links which seem a bit sturdier, and run about $60-70. OR stick with OE ($50) or a lot less if I can find some in decent shape at a local yard.

Thanks for the suggestions!

'02 OBW. Recently discovered one of my rear end links had broken apart. I'm trying to figure out what the best replacement/upgrade route is and wanted to see what folks thought. Pretty positive that in the next month or so I'll pickup a new rear (maybe front too) sway bar from Rallitek or Whiteline.

I can't quite justify spending 100+ for new Whiteline links. So I'm wondering if it would worth it to go with the MOOG aftermarket OE-style end links which seem a bit sturdier, and run about $60-70. OR stick with OE ($50) or a lot less if I can find some in decent shape at a local yard.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I agree $80 is a bit much for a bent piece of metal with two bushings stuck in it. But you will definitely want something tougher than the stock links if you go with an after market sway bar.

I manufactured a set of front end links for my 93 legacy wagon. Cost me less than $20 in materials. Took about 2-3 hours of my time to get everything just right.

Come on now, you can't tell us you made something and not post a few pics of it! :grin:

What did you make them out of? Where did you get the materials?

Come on now, you can't tell us you made something and not post a few pics of it! :grin:

What did you make them out of? Where did you get the materials?

+1 on this! :)

Very interesting... A quick google ("diy end links") shows some folks use "rod ends". Looks way stronger than stock, plus they would be adjustable... Hmm, the wheels are turning!

I just made mine out of 1" gray PVC stock. Cut it to the right size and shape it with a sander. Use a vice to press the steel sleeves into the holes you have to drill at each end. voila. A bit stiffer than stock.

The other option (and significantly more expensive) is to use some allthread and a pair of Heim joints.

Interesting, the PVC is strong enough? I wonder where I could find that..

I actually was able to find a couple rod end/heim joints locally this evening. While they weren't cheap, still less than most OE/aftermarket replacements. ~11/piece x 4 pieces (I'm sure cheaper if I ordered online). I opted for the 1/2", but the sway bar hole is only ~3/8" (or whatever the closest metric is), so I would need to get a sleeve to reduce the size for those bolts. Plus some washers, a lock nut, and maybe some rubber grommets. Still seems very strong and adjustable to boot!

Maybe going down a size to 3/8" would be a cleaner solution, and stil strong enough? Compared to the OE links I'm sure they'd be tons better!

post-402-136027642936_thumb.jpg

Edited by nickb21
Added pic!

I bought whiteline front endlinks for my impreza and had a lot of problems with the bushings on the passenger side one. The kept popping out under any sort of cornering, and I eventually lost one of the bushings. I have rallitek rear endlinks and they are great.