Ultimate Subaru Message Board

NYC & CT folks - CT beach on Thursday, traveling tips, etc

I think we're going to stop at a state park north of NYC (awaiting your feedback), maybe Sherwood Island State Park, on Thursday afternoon on our way to Maine. Roughly 2-4pm depending how the 2 year old travels.

Any tips on which roads to take through/around NYC?

It's an extra 10 or 20 miles (depending on which way) to take 287 around new york city, is that worth it?

Feedback on which beaches are easy access to the interstate, ones to avoid, etc? Sherwood Island State Park?

How bad is traffic north of Bridgeport - when does it start getting bad? Like "You better be xy minutes north of Bport by...."?

If anyone feels like dropping by the beach then, post here and I'll try to update from my phone what time we'll be there.

Any tips on which roads to take through/around NYC?

It's an extra 10 or 20 miles (depending on which way) to take 287 around new york city, is that worth it?

For the love of God avoid 80 over the George Washington bridge like the plague. I have never NOT gotten stuck in traffic over that bridge. Worst was 3 hours of stop and go...best was 1 1/2. Going out of the way to 287 is well worth it. 1 dollar less toll too if i remember right.

WCBS 880AM radio as you come thru Jersey. Traffic every ten minutes on the "8 's"

That time of the day you're ok going over the GWB - assuming you're talking about 1-2 in the afternoon. After 3PM if you're not near the GWB then hit 287.

I-80 heading east shouldn't be an issue that time of day. Coming up I-95 you never know but again if you make up towards the GWB before 3 you're doing ok.

You want to listen for any delays on the Cross Bronx Expressway too. Usually that means GWB traffic too. Avoid all that using 287 if needed.

I'd do a stop over at Sherwood Is. if you want to avoid sitting in traffic around 3:30PM to 6:30PM. No concessions there so grab food elsewhere. Life is a bit expensive in those towns but along Rt.1 you'll find decent food for under $15/adult.

Maine - :banana:

I'll check back with you later ...

sweet, i was hoping paul would chime in!

sounds basically like DC - 3pm+ and you're hosed. the NYC to Bridgeport area of 95 is fairly bad traffic at rush hour? Does it start to loosen up anyway above bridgeport - or is that all still suburb like?

if we stop at a beach there around 1-2 and hop back on around 4pm we'll be in heavy traffic for a bit probably?

should we hit a beach as far north as possible then? get there a bit later an further from it all?

sweet, i was hoping paul would chime in! Your lucky day! :)

sounds basically like DC - 3pm+ and you're hosed. The DC loop is a nightmare. I've been in it at that time too. Worse than most NYC traffic.

the NYC to Bridgeport area of 95 is fairly bad traffic at rush hour? FRIK YEAH ! Does it start to loosen up anyway above bridgeport For the most part YES since a lot of people branch off there and head northward to the 'burbs , BUT you'll also catch New Haven backup which holds you up a good 15 -20 minutes or so but nothing horrible- or is that all still suburb like? Not quite the same as suburbs elsewhere but I guess you can call it the 'burbs. Stamford , Norwalk , and B'port are good old small cities. Lots of bloodshed lately up here in Bpt. Duck down as you drive thru. Not quite the 'burbs... :rolleyes:

if we stop at a beach there around 1-2 and hop back on around 4pm we'll be in heavy traffic for a bit probably? That's what I'm sayin' :grin:

should we hit a beach as far north as possible then? get there a bit later an further from it all?

Lots of choices. This time of the year they clip you for entrance fees. Bridgeport has the finest beach - but the Gathering of the Vibes Concert is this weekend at Seaside Park.. Super fine white sand unlike the rest of the coastline - (Sherwood Is. is rOcKy!! ) IF you do choose Seaside Park in Bridgeport you'll be able to stay clear of the concert itself but you might find a few concert goers over at the far west end because they're setting up a camping are there. Otherwise take exit 26 Wordin Ave. Go striaght along the highway and oil tanks, come to Iranistan Ave. and take a Right , just a few feet to a Right at the light onto South Ave. , go to the end - pass Sikorsky Aircraft , where I work , road takes a left around our facility and at the stop sign it'll be obvious - but you go RIGHT toward the best beach area which will NOT be closed off like the rest of the park. I took my kids there yesterday and we had a BLAST.

Concert begins Thursday and it should still be fairly quiet. They don't start fillnig the joint untill Thursday night/Friday. Luckily there's no particular big draw act on Thursday afternoon.

Gotta move along , talk to you soon...