Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Going where no one has gone before ....

(or that I can see) ......

Parking brake cable. Mine is completly stretched out. There is no more adjustment left. Has anyone replaced these cables (which I imagine are not cheap) before.

I am always leery of when a manual has only 5 steps for such a long part.

have you tried adjusting it at the rear hub as well as under the center console?

not much too it really, it's been awhile so memory is vague but i don't recall anything super annoying except fishing stuff a little and working from under the car isn't the funnest in the world.

they get changed when folks do a rear disc swap often so it's been done before.

Do the adjustment at the brakes first. If you still need to adjust the cable, you can do it at the brake lever.

If you still need to replace the cable it is easy, a clamp under the brake lever, a couple of more on the way to the brakes and then R&R at the brake backing plate.

I doubt you need a new cable, unless its rusted tight.

Oops 1997 outback

As I said, there is no adjustment left. I am replacing the rear discs, so I will see if I have adjustment at that end. But at 270K I wouldnt be surprised if it is tired.

consider putting new shoes in there for the hand brake. i don't know what they cost but it can't be too much. you may have to loosen the cable at the lever to make room for them.

but of course, they shouldn't get a lot of wear unless you've been letting my wife drive your car. sometimes she can't get the brake off so she drives with it on. :eek:

ive done them... Not that hard.

The worst part is the rear brakes and getting the cable out of the backing plate.

The cables run inside the car then exit the vehicle under the backseat. They then travel down the trailing arm into the backing plate

I've had the cables out while doing other work like the cars I've converted from fwd to awd. It's not too bad of a job.

But your shoes are probably worn out or out of adjustment rather than stretched cables.

My God subaru makes junk. 270,000 miles, tie rod ends, Belt tensione idler, and now parking brake shoes

:lol:

Sigh ...

Blu just threw a hissey fit. yes the rear parking brake shoes are shot but everything else is good.

However ..

in the last week Blu has torn a CV boot. this is literally in the last few days so I am going the split boot route. There is a broken end link at the rear sway bar. The ugliest thing, and i mean uglie$t is the rear wheel bearing. I was told the first two will not fail me on inspection (sort of surprised by the endlink wont fail). I may have to cancle the inspection to later in the month. I will attack the rear brakes shoes at another time. Odd how the wheel beainrg did not get really noisey untill I changed rotors. I have shimmy in the right front wheel after hitting a bump but the front end is tight and mostly new in the last year. Hoepfully it is the Cv joint on the left or the end link i am feeling. I rotated the tires to see if it moves.

Nipper:

I have a good end link, good ebrake shoes ( look almost new). Let me know if I can help you out at all. I can also get the wheel bearings for 35.00 a set fornt and 37 rear.

Mike

Thanks. I ordered the end link already :( as i was figuring getting it done as long as they had the car on the lift. Now I have to cancel that apointment. Wheel bearings let me look and I will probably take the rear set. rear brake shoes yes.

Right now I need to sit down and digest this. I have never asked for finacial help on a car repair in my life and I just had to. So now I need time to sit back and digest this all.

For a long time there was a low roar from the rear. Now it had gotten to sound like dragging brake shoes, but starting to ebb again.

Odd how I have all the parts for the justy but it is not road ready.

Just let me know how I can help

ill let you know sunday/monday. From doing the drums on the justy i forgot how much of a joy they are. Looking at the parking brake it looks like 10x more fun.

I just wonder how they get so worn as the PO probably did not even know that it existed.