Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My rear passenger axle's boot is ripped open and is leaking grease. I am going to replace it instead of repairing the boot as a boot repair is just too difficult/annyoing. Plus, the axle is ancient.

Before I spend money on a Duralast or whatever, I would be very happy to receive your suggestions for a replacement. I prefer new, but would be happy to get a quality reman.

I replaced the front passenger 2 months ago with a reman from AutoZone and since then I have a terrible vibration when I am in drive but not moving. Thus, quality is very important.

thx!

Before I spend money on a Duralast or whatever, I would be very happy to receive your suggestions for a replacement. I prefer new, but would be happy to get a quality reman.

some folks have had bad luck with off brand reman axles. those folks believe only subaru. so either reboot the one you have or have it rebuilt by a reputable outfit. google colorado rebuilders, ccr engines. they have a link on their site for a reportedly good axle re-builder, mwe i think.

buying a used subaru axle and rebooting it is another option. but if your boot just tore the axle is still good, it's better than most remans. rebooting is messy, but not difficult. assuming you can get the axle out of the hub.

I replaced the front passenger 2 months ago with a reman from AutoZone and since then I have a terrible vibration when I am in drive but not moving. Thus, quality is very important.

thx!

and there you have it, one of the problems folks have with off brand reman axles.

reboot yours. OEM axle failure is nearly unheard of (offroad crowd doesn't count :lol: ). particularly a rear axle, they just don't see much action. your OEM rebooted will have less chance of failure than an aftermarket.

if you don't like rebooting have a shop reboot it for you.

reboot yours. OEM axle failure is nearly unheard of (offroad crowd doesn't count :lol: ). particularly a rear axle, they just don't see much action. your OEM rebooted will have less chance of failure than an aftermarket.

if you don't like rebooting have a shop reboot it for you.

I work at a shop. We simply don't want to reboot. Too messy, too many problems. Easier to replace.

I'll check the price of an OE drive shaft from the dealer.

I have had a lot of luck with Max drive axles from NAPA. They are about 100 bucks, and I have never seen one fail. I have seen a couple issues on lifted older rigs, but never a stock car

I completely agree. Those are the axles we use at work. I've never had one fail (prematurely). And that's doing I'd say...atleast 4 a week. I'd def recommend them to anyone.

I work at a shop. We simply don't want to reboot. Too messy, too many problems. Easier to replace.

I'll check the price of an OE drive shaft from the dealer.

Too messy? How do you guys change oil? Buy a new engine? :lol:

Seriously though, I don't know why you Stateside guys don't just get new joints and reuse the axle. 99% of the time that's how the mechanics over here fix axles - It's very rare to see the actual axle break under normal road conditions. In fact, I didn't sell even one axle during my time in parts. Sold countless CV's and DOJ's though.

Plus, it's not exactly a difficult job.