Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.5 to a 1.8? Help with?

thumbpicking

Yeah, it will be really underpowered. The 1.8 was mediocre in the impreza's, and in the heavier body of a legacy, especially one that has most of the options like a 2.5l one does, is going to be really pokey.

The 2.2l is a good compromise.

You can put an EJ18 in. It needs to have the EGR system and you may have to swap the knock sensor and its wiring from the 2.5 to the 1.8. Use the 2.5l flexplate if automatic tranny or the flywheel if it's manual. The 2.5l flywheel is a lot heavier so it will help with the lack of low end torque in the 1.8 with it being installed in a heavy car.

The 2.5l ECU may not be happy running a 1.8, that's a large displacement change, but it will run.

I have a '98 2.5 Legacy GT and wanted to know what type of dilemmas I would be running into if I put a '95 1.8 in the Legacy. Any help out there?
i did this exact swap, it's easy.

EJ18 wiring is totally different so it's not a plug-and-play swap. but just get an EJ22 intake manifold - the entire manifold with harness bolts right on top the EJ18 and plugs right into the EJ25.

mine is behind an auto trans. if yours is manual it'll be even better, but mine is usable, i drive it everywhere and just keep the rpm's up on the automatic. it's an EJ18 you can't hurt those things!

if you'll be pulling a lot of weight or steep mountain grades the EJ18 is terribly underpowered, though a manual may be a bit better?

i can't run 16" subaru wheels, the car is too underpowered for the really steep mountain grades and carrying passengers. did it once on a 6 hour drive and actually got all the way down to 2nd gear just to get over the two steepest mountain passes at 50 mph. but that was with a huge load - two enormous guys in the back and two more up front and luggage....and very steep grades. a/c also loads it enough to make a noticeable difference climbing as well.

Hey.....that might work for solving the EGR issue on the 2.2 swaps as well:rolleyes::confused:
hardest part is the EGR ports in the heads, not the wiring/intake, otherwise any Ej22 intake with EGR would solve it too.

EJ18 has a goofy throttle body and idle control set up, i don't know that an EJ25 harness would swap right on it - probably would but i don't know.

the EJ18 i used had the knock sensor hole already bored and threaded, forgot to mention that. so just screw in the knock sensor and plug it in.

hardest part is the EGR ports in the heads, not the wiring/intake, otherwise any Ej22 intake with EGR would solve it too.

excactly, the EJ18 heads have the EGR port in them. And they are relatively easy to find, as opposed to the rare EJ22 w/ EGR.

excactly, the EJ18 heads have the EGR port in them. And they are relatively easy to find, as opposed to the rare EJ22 w/ EGR.
gotcha, thanks. i gotta quit plugging EGR's, i keep forgetting which have it/don't.

What kind of MPG do you get?
EJ18 AT it's funny my city and highway mileage is the same: 26 around town and highway (mountains). 32 in flatland. doesn't seem to run/shift as well as it should, maybe because of removing the charcoal canister/lines and EGR/trans swap? it doesn't downshift when it's supposed to so i shift manually at certain times. Edited by grossgary

If you are using the original 4eat tranny, it is programed for a bigger engine with more torque and throttle feedback (vacume). It may not be getting the needed signals to downshift properly.

i'm not, i went all out and castrated this to FWD too mostly because no one else does. :lol::lol: but i think you mean the TCU since that's where the programming would be. i can't recall if i swapped that or not, i need to check my notes but i think i did. i should try another though to be sure.

In stock form - definitely. But their lower power was on a lighter frame.

I have a friend that put an EJ18 into a '90 Legacy and it was rediculous! Car was just too heavy.

GD

They came out as a factory carbed EJ18 in NZ - 89" - 91" Legacy. Yes, carbed.

People would probably get run over in the states because those big dumb-muscle V8's can't stop in time! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

wow I had a 95 Impreza that had a EJ18 and it was underpowered I would never dream of putting it in the Legacy.. matter of fact when I got the Legacy the extra power was welcomed...

It was crazy the fact that when I was out doing a gig with 300 lb of equipment in the tunk and back seat and a 250 lb passenger in the passenger seat it was a pain to get up to speed.

People would probably get run over in the states because those big dumb-muscle V8's can't stop in time! :lol:

It's the short on-ramps to our interstates that are the problem. Built in the days of powerful american cars and with a designed speed of 65 to 75 MPH. The on ramp from my own neighborhood is too short (and uphill) for my EA81 hatch with a Weber. I can barely get up to freeway speed and that's with me taking it right to redline every shift.

Now they have installed traffic lights halfway up the ramps to control flow onto the freeways - when those are turned on and traffic is flowing along at 65 I'm totally screwed trying to merge. I nearly get run over by semi's and frankly I can't blame them cause the people who designed this crazy system should have to drive an air-cooled VW in it IMO. See how they like it.....:mad:

GD

It's the short on-ramps to our interstates that are the problem. Built in the days of powerful american cars and with a designed speed of 65 to 75 MPH. The on ramp from my own neighborhood is too short (and uphill) for my EA81 hatch with a Weber. I can barely get up to freeway speed and that's with me taking it right to redline every shift.

Now they have installed traffic lights halfway up the ramps to control flow onto the freeways - when those are turned on and traffic is flowing along at 65 I'm totally screwed trying to merge. I nearly get run over by semi's and frankly I can't blame them cause the people who designed this crazy system should have to drive an air-cooled VW in it IMO. See how they like it.....:mad:

GD

Our short on ramps (and off ramps which make life exciting) are from the 1930's and 1940's. the speed limits on the parkways back then were in the 30-40 mph range. Then they got wider and faster now at 55 (but people do drive them much higher sometimes up to 100). There is no way to change the ramps due to bridges and other structures. When I had my gl with a 1.8 there were some on ramps i never bothered with because i knew it was to small an engine for to little ramp for too high a speed road.

I know a ramp in Norwalk, CT it's so short for an on ramp on the parkway... I think it's less then 120 Ft.. plus I think it has a yield sign as well... :rolleyes:

it was downright scary in my 1.8L in the 2.2L not so bad.. when I had the forester XS not bad.

One issue I have is friken drivers who speed up in the first lane so you can't get on... I had to give a guy with new york plates the finger last week.. I was already going up the onramp (now this one is long nearly 800 Ft) by the time I was level with the roadway and about to merge (turn signal and all) my speed was about 65-ish.. this guy tires to out run me in the first lane but had to stop because of the slower car in the first lane which I slowed down to but he was on his horn...

Now get this.. and I'm still confused over this..

the middle lane was open and free.....

Same reason why I don't drive on 284 when it rains out.. you will always see one car spun off the road.